Seniors Prefer Sending Texts To Grandchildren Instead Of Phoning

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I just saw this on the news and it sure fits me,-----HOW ABOUT YOU?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is what I do , too.
    However, there is a very good reason for my doing this, and it might or might not be true for other seniors.
    All of my children have jobs, plus a busy life at home, and i do not want to disturb them when they are busy. I remember how frustrating it was for me when I was busy and had to stop and answer the phone just because my friend wanted to chat with me while she did her dishes. (I would be SO glad to hear the sound of the water draining out of her sink because I knew that the conversation was almost over and I could get back to whatever I was busy doing)

Now that my daughter is living overseas, her time is about 7 hours different than my time, so that makes phone calls hard, too. All in all, sending an iMessage works the best because we can be involved when we are not busy.
    You can have more than one person in the iMessage chat, and we have one that is for me and all three of my kids (I use that term loosely, they are old enough to be on this forum), so we can all add into that chat as we have time, and pictures or information to share.

My youngest son loves to use FaceTime, and take me for visits around his yard and garden and show me how the raspberries are growing and which flowers are blooming.
    So that is also something that we do instead of phone calls.

Now that my daughter is overseas, calling is more expensive with the cell phones, too; so she told me about an app called “SIGNAL”, and with that we can do Wifi phone calls.
    Once I got signed up on the app, she called me and we were able to visit for almost an hour while she told me everything about her new job and houses that she is interested in renting.

Since I can use my iPad for messaging, it is much simpler than trying to send a text using my phone.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes texts work much better with my children and grandchildren than phone calls since their lives are so busy. We save the phone calls for the not so busy times. And with the youngest grandchildren we do video chats.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Fascinating.

5. Joan Kuper

Joan Kuper Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Depends..I like texts when it's a short message and I need a fairly quick answer. Otherwise, I prefer phone calls and possibly e-mails. But then I do not have grandchildren so maybe it's what they prefer?

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No comment.