Sewing

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Hannah Davis, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes but allot of my sewing involves taking my dance skirts up at the waist ( allot easier than tackling the hem area) .

I have a pair of Queen size sheets cut out to size siting waiting for me to sew , ( including a fitted sheet )
    I already made one pair 12 months or so ago …but what’s the hurry the ones on our bed will never wear out in our lifetime.

They are made using Actil fabric that was ONCE MADE right here in Adelaide ..it was made to last unlike the cheap JUNK our shops are full of now days.
    I don’t make much at all it’s just generally alterations …..and if anyone noticed I have a 22 year old embroidery machine ( it’s both a embroidery and sewing machine ) and yes one can buy just an embroidery machine.

I tend to do more embroidery on my machine than sewing ….and I mend stuff like hubbies jeans ..a skill very few seem to have or care about now days

We have a add constantly running on TV encouraging people to WASH and re~ wear cloths WHAT ,
    …….:(:confused: The add even …. shows how to remove a stain ……..so you can re~ wear ??not just wear and bin …….and how to mend clothing …to save on landfill going into our rubbish dumps

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  2. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

99% of my sewing....

Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Kay Baker

Kay Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

When hubby retired in 2001, we sold our home in CA and bought a 40' fifth-wheel and truck and traveled around. We mainly spent the winter's in Brownsville, TX at a retirement park. A lot of the Winter Texan ladies were from MN and they were quilters. That's how I got interested in quilting.

Besides quilting, I enjoy counted cross stitch (mostly Reproduction Samplers), crochet, wool applique, and regular applique. I just bought a new machine that will probably be my last machine and I love it. I have several machines...6, I think.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's the part of Texas I lived in. Brownsville, Los Fresnos, and Edcouch, in Cameron and Hidalgo counties.

Now, I've got to think of something to say about sewing so that I don't get banned. I've never learned to sew much, which is probably no surprise. I could make bell bottoms out of regular jeans in the 1960s, and I can sew on buttons or patches, but that's about it. These days, threading the needle would be a task in itself. My mom had a new sewing machine but I don't remember ever seeing her use it. I suspected it was something that dad bought her for Christmas or something, but which she never learned to use.

Kay Baker likes this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i used to sew...turned a free room into a quilt arena ..we sold house...downsized...i made a yo yo quilt...worked on it...years...all by hand...my arm and shoulder would throb..used needle nose pliers to help pull needle through and attach together...no room here for sewing space..maybe a good thing

Kay Baker likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember at school, maybe a home ec class, I was taught how to sew an apron. It was pretty cool and then I made some curtains from what I learned, several sets, actually. I sew by hand. I also use hand tools. Maybe in a past life I was maimed by machinery. I used to like to embroider. Still have needles in little packages, for 35 cents and such which would cost about 9 bucks now.

Kay Baker and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I bought some really nice flannel material at the fabric store, since it was on sale. My husband likes to wear long sleeve flannel shirts in the winter. I figured if I started now, I might have a couple shirts made by winter.:D