Shooting In Boulder

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole

Looks like he has plenty of brawn, but I doubt he has the other B.
    Still, not convinced he did this on his own.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Going back to the availability of getting a firearm, if the Dems hadn’t shot down the Grassley/Cruz bill back in 2013, it is very likely that the murderer would not have been able to obtain the weapon.
    Since the perpetrator was already known to the FBI and he also has a past history of mental instability, (e.g. anger issues, bullying etc.). which would have been grounds for denying him the weapon under the bill.
    Matter of fact, if his past history is indeed severe enough, just trying to purchase the AR-15 or any firearm would have been illegal and might have put him behind bars for a spell.

It just goes to show that if it isn’t the left’s ideas in congress especially dealing with the 2nd amendment then it will not pass. It’s a given that the Grassley/Cruz bill needed some work because it might have prevented combat veterans from owning a firearm but that could have been done in house.
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda = nada.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Anything that actually solves the problems that generate power and/or funding will not pass.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In our country we have the freedom of speech, unlike the communist, how then do we express our ideas, feelings, rationale to the ones in power and even if it is communicated to the local representatives, is it presented to the higher ups.?? There seems to be a lot of disparity with the citizens and the ruling parties!!

5. John Brunner

We're also supposed to have a Constitution, and a Republic with a highly-restricted Fed.

It all gets corrupted over time.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

According to NBC, it was mostly the gun that was responsible.

7. John Brunner

Given the number of guns out there and the incidence of all crime, I would say that guns are about 100x more ethical & responsible than humans are.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

THAT’S the problem!
    According to the constitution, the citizens are supposed to be the “ruling party”! The citizens have taken it granted for so long that the people who are elected are the leaders, not the representatives of those who elected them.
    Now we have an out of control bunch of demigods who for the most part, do NOT listen for they are the all knowing, all seeing overseer of children who need to be ruled for our own good.

I wrote my congressman about a month and a half ago to get his take on how to speed up the process of an Article V Constitutional Convention of States and got nada even though the email address was proudly displayed with a “he’ll reply soon” on the label. Define “soon” when it comes to government.
    Whoever gets elected spends more time working to be re-elected than actually representing their constituency.
    Once they get hold of something like the second amendment issue and think that it will garner votes so they can get that extended paycheck and lobby money, that’s when you have their ear so they can sort of agree with you. As you have seen most recently, they’ll agree with anyone with a million or so in their hand no matter what they may have said the day before.

Martin Alonzo and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was listening to a commentator who noted that most of those who want gun control are not really familiar with guns. "Assault Weapon" is a term that means ANY semi-auto rifle to many of the anti-gun nuts, so your 10-22 is an assault weapon to these people. Little do thy know that an AR-15 is basically a .22 rifle;). I also get tired of people, even those who should know better, confuse a "magazine" with a "clip", and limiting the magazine size simply means you need more magazines. Smaller mags are easier to carry anyway.

Martin Alonzo and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am uneasy with a Convention of States. Although those who believe they can control the agenda of such a convention, I doubt that would be true. I think most of the Bill of Rights would be among the first things to go if such a convention were called. The amendment process, although very difficult, is a much safer way to go.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I forget the issue now but, a few years ago, Senator Susan Collins' office reported that 85% of her constituents were opposed to a bill that was coming up in the Senate, but she voted for it anyhow. That will be the case with gun control as well, and the turncoats will be those who are either not seeking reelection or who aren't up for reelection in the next election. This is particularly convenient in the Senate, with 6-year terms, because no one can remember or be expected to care about anything that happened more than a couple of months previous. Given that we no longer have real elections anyhow, I don't suppose it matters.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I can’t remember the lady’s name or what part of government she served in but a control rant in front of the cameras she said that an AR-15 was heavier than a bunch of full boxes and the “bullets” were huge. Obviously she wouldn’t know an AR-15 from a Daisy BB gun.
    What first came to my mind was a military grade 50 cal machine gun and then I wondered where she was able to size up one of those monsters.
    Maybe she watched Rambo and confused an AR with that M-60 he was throwing around and all the belts of 7,62 he had wrapped around himself.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What I am referring to is the most proficient way to post term limits on Congress. Congress will Never pass term limits on itself. Kinda like voting each year for their pay raise. Useless to vote because they already know the results.

14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Why do they go after guns. I have never seen a gun kill anyone. I have seen a person with a gun that could kill someone. So is it the gun or the person gun can not kill a person but a person using a knife,car can kill people. This is just an insanity to control people like in England they took the guns now they went after knives what is next. If people can not protect themselves than the government can run do anything they want. The enemies of US have less to fear.

15. John Brunner

To me, a larger part of the issue is hearing people say "The Government." We are a Republic. There is no "The Government." Our true daily government is State/City/County/Local, not Washington. The occupants of the White House and the Halls of Congress should have zero effect on our daily lives.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.