Shopping For Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 14, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. That space in the middle is valueless. There have been a handful of times that it would have been nice to have an extra burner.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it would make it easy with big pots, cooking in middle, like a roast, or canning with All American Canner, during cold weather, on the 5th burner.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

Yup. One of my rear burners is the second-largest, yet it's right against the control panel where there's no room for a like-sized pot. I guess some culinary ergonomics PhD knows best.

Jake Smith likes this.
  4. Jake Smith

Registered

That's like some of the designs on vehicles are like that, even I, think I could beat some of their designs they do.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish you would get together with Whirlpool or some investor. I want a company to produce what the consumer wants, not what the government wants. I want a gas/propane stove with a pilot light. I would prefer apt sized. I want a washer and dryer available without mother board, bells and whistles. Maybe just different temps and water levels.
    Along with green, I don't think the majority want smart.
    I got a new GE washer that died 7 years later (out of warranty)because of the 'motherboard' and that cost as much as the machine. Went on craigslist and got an old one there. My former washer lasted 30 years. This one probably will too.
    Furnace in my old house lasted 50 years as did the water heater.
    Built in obscolesence is not a selling feature.

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Our stove still works like it always did a little worn and tirn but it works. I don't want a new stove. The money could be spent on more important things like the kitchen floor that has some worn wood planks. Or solarium connect to the bay window, take window out, put in Foor with patio type lean to. The wooid floors all could use a good shellacking.
    The frisge is nosiy so it may be about to give up.

7. Jake Smith

Registered

You're right they're not made to last anymore, we bought a $1000.00 dollar front loading washer and it broke down all the time warranty people fix everything on it still broke down. So we got another one an LG top loader for $600.00, so far it's been at least 5 yrs., and still going. The old ones just kept going. I think they want them to go out, so we buy more.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I love love love my Old Merrit OKeef gas stove. It is the stove put in the apt bldg when this bldg was built in 1948,,,, It keeps doing it's job and I've been using it for 31 yrs. Give me the good stuff any day ....

9. John Brunner

[​IMG]

I saw a red one from that era that I would love to have.

[​IMG]

I forgot about the clocks & timers they had on the console.
    My heart yearns for Bakelite.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

They are beauties.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thats when they made stoves to last. All appliances use to last most for decades. Washers don't last long at all now.

12. Joy Martin

Registered

Yep, todays stuff is turn over fast, disposable and replace with a newer pricier one.

I bought a fridge in 2001 so that is 22 yrs ago soon and it's still humming along and does good, and since I'm only one here, I don't abuse it....I think its a Hotpoint.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

I lived in my prior home for over 30 years. I bought a new fridge when I moved in, and maybe 15 years later someone gave me a nicer used one that came from a kitchen remodel. The first fridge was still working when I upgraded. That second fridge was still working 17 years later when I moved.

I bought a new fridge when I moved here in 2010. It took a poop in 2017 or so. I knew what was wrong with it, but Whirlpool changed the part design and did not change the part#...they did not even add a suffix to it. I burned up 2 hours on the road getting the part that my research and the parts place research said is the right one and that was the same part# as was on the original part, and it did not fit...and the electrical connectors were way different. So I replaced the fridge, after it had lasted less than half as long as each of my prior 2 fridges had (and they were still working when I gave them away.)

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yup, at this point I buy my appliances off of craigslist. I am still looking for a 1940 ish apt sized gas stove, although I have room for a bit larger. I took a refrigerator repair course and have solder. But we have a used appliance place up in Appleton. Used to be in Oshkosh but moved.:(

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I gotta tell you this story...

One day I thought that my fridge took a poop (the second one that came from the remodel job.) It simply shut down. The lights were on, but the compressor would not start. My neighbor was an HVAC guy, and for some reason he had fridge manuals & schematics. So I took the schematic home, got out my multi-meter, and went to work. An hour or so later I figured out what was wrong: Defrost Cycle. :rolleyes: I gave it a few more minutes and it started back up on its own.