Shopping Future

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Craig Wilson, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember reading about this when they started the first on in Seattle a couple of years ago. There might even be a thread about it here ? Anyway, since the main headquarters for Amazon is in Seattle, that is where they opened the first trial store. I think that it was only able to be used by Amazon employees at first, until they got all of the bugs worked out of the system.

I just read in your article that Amazon now has several of these stores here in the US, so apparently it worked out well. However, since it started, we have all of this covid debacle, and people on lockdown in our own homes, and most groceries were being delivered. This has caught on so well, that I personally think that delivery is going to be the immediate future of a lot of shopping.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I guess we've all read about the various ways that "No Checkout" might be implemented.

I'm curious as to how many bugs get ironed out.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Interesting observation. I've had friends opine that Carry Out is gonna be the wave of the future in dining, but I think people will want the entire away-from-home experience once this blows over. But if folks have had a positive experience after being involuntarily thrown into the grocery delivery market, there's really no incentive to return to the old way, is there? And even in my rural area, lots of folks are using the Pickup option to minimize human contact. You gotta wonder how this will affect revenues, since impulse buying is gonna go away.

Yvonne Smith likes this.