So, Does Anyone Participate In Any Sports And Recreation?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Mary Stetler, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Active Member
    Registered

@Thomas Stillhere

Nothing like that. It is a major hump and classification yard (that part is automated). The pic I posted is of the fuel rack. Four tracks that if we scrunched the engines up, 8 will fit per track with the abaility to fuel, sand, water, oil, change brake shoes and do minor repairs. Each track had a pit to access under the locomotive .

Our main focus was servicing locomotives then switching them into consists for outbound trains according to their tonnage requirements. I won't bore the forum with additional railroad crap, but if you want general info feel free to DM me.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was employed, I started out working in a warehouse, shipping, receiving, driving a forklift and pickup/deliveries. Got plenty of exercise. Then, in the mid 1980's, got involved in rodeo and bought a horse. Nice exercise with that as well.

After numerous years of the warehouse work, I got involved in purchasing and inventory control and went into my own office. Still done a little warehouse work, but main job was behind a desk using a computer. I absolutely loved it.

Have never/ever been into really hard/physical work, but taking care of my horse sure gave me exercise.

Today, no horse anymore and wife and I probably don't get nearly as much exercise as we should, but.........

Now that we are living back in a "winter weather" area, our winter exercise is more of playing our Wii Game in the living room than anything else. We do have a 20 foot powerboat that can, and does, give us plenty of exercise hooking up, launching/retrieving and unhooking it. We did that yesterday, and afterwards, got some muscle cramps and other muscle pain, but ibuprofen and CBD Rub sure helped.

BUT, don't do a whole lot of exercise on a daily basis, unless using a computer keyboard is considered exercise, cause we do a lot of that. With two rotator cuff surgeries, one on each shoulder and a hip replacement, I'm extremely cautious about overdoing with any exercise.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Once I healed up from hip replacement, I find it was the only thing that keeps me going. That leg does not hurt at all. Did your doctor tell you not to exercise much? Mine got specific because he said one of his patients felt so good he climbed onto his roof to fix it and then fell off, two weeks after surgery. Doc told me not to do that for 8 months.;)

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Veteran Member
    Registered

There was someone else around here that was tied to the railroads somehow. And lots of us love picking up new stuff. Personally, I would like to see you start a thread on this topic. If it falters, I'll save you with stories of when I worked in the ionmicrofabrication industry ;)

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So you worked at making teeny tiny things we can't see?
    Good work if you can get it.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I believe you’re referring to @Frank Sanoica. He built a working RR engine and tracks in his home machinists shop and ran it around his property.
    He’s an engineer but just not a choo-choo engineer. Or, maybe cause he built one he IS the engineer.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The count today is 300 and 3 miles long. The reason is strategic position and they are brought back into service as needed. A good thing they aren't in Chicago or all of them would have been scrapped by now.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Veteran Member
    Registered

Shhhhhhhhhh.......be vewy vewy kwyut.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We just got another weed eater last year and its batterry powered too. I was asking hubby yesterday if he thought I could use it. He said yes. But for now, I'm staying out of yard. I'm good with loppers, shovels but not sure about weed eater yet. Its been a long time.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

One of my favorite uncles worked for R.R, an engineer back in late 1800s up to 1955. I like riding on trains.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL you know what you did,huh?

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

When we had lockdowns our ballroom dancing was one of the first things to be closed
    because it comes under a sports and recreation , when choosing what should be closed and what should be allowed to open with restrictions like distancing / masks so yes I’d suppose you could say I participate in sports and recreation

John Nopales and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I know you missed that dancing I know I would but we haven't been dancing in years. I dance around here to keep diabetes in check and I like music and dance, sometimes hubby will join me,not often. He hasn't liked to dance since he broke his back and they put all kinds of metal in it the going backwards is hard on his back sometimes reaching too. He doesn't take anything for it new thank God. Pain pills ended up putting him in withdrawals became more painful than the back or made it worse anyway. Going through withdrawals plus pain is no fun.

I was just doing a little cha cha this morning. Mostly though I wouldn't call what I do dancing now, just moving and acting up.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    For outside activity, we paddle kayaks, go fishing quite often in a lot of different places, and we garden and do yardwork- sometimes pretty heavy stuff like tree cutting and log hauling. We grow veggies of many kinds, blueberries and satsumas- a kind of mandarin orange on our trees, I fly my drone al least once every day- get to see what's going on in the world, I do. And I have a moderate archery range set up behind the house- I'm getting better- not good for sure, but better at putting the arrow where I want it to go.
    Nothing to do for fun? Not here at our house.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Good yall are still able to do all that. My last big adventure was building a hügelkultur mound. We had cut down some rather large trees and so I loaded up the cut logs onto a hand truck and put them in the 3' hole I had dug with a shovel. Then hauled a couple 100 wheelbarrows across the field to the mound, daughter did help me with last 15 loads of dirt. Now it looks more like a weed patch than veggie mound.
    Otherwise it just building trails and clearing endless vines, but chigger's put brakes on that plus age.
    We don't have a tractor.