So, You Wrote Your Congress Person And...

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Bobby Cole, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I did. A couple of times.

About a year ago I wrote Mo Brooks and asked a simple question: What can I as a citizen do to help enact term limits for those in the House and Senate?
    It’s pretty obvious why I received no reply because of the fact that Mo Brooks is a career politician and doesn’t want to leave Congress. Matter of fact, he’s trying to run for the Senate now.
    Yeah, it was stupid but it was just something I felt like doing at the time. I think it was better than walking up and down the street cussing like some of the folks on our street do.

So yesterday, I decided to write to my Congressman again only this time I wanted to talk about forcing a vote to repeal many of Biden’s backtrack executive orders. I say backtrack because he backtracked on nearly every good initiative that stemmed from the Trump administration.
    The object of appreciation here is that Sen. Rand Paul is in the process of trying to force a vote to repeal the vaccine mandates put in place by this administration so why not the whole ball of wax?
    It doesn’t make sense. The vaccine and mask mandates aren’t creating the sorriest economy this country has seen since the 20th century nor are they responsible for hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants coming across the southern border nor are they the reason our gas prices are so high.
    In my email, I explained that even the constituents of the Dems sitting in higher offices are complaining so it would be a feather in the cap of anyone proposing such an action as to force the vote.

If it’s anything like my first email to my Congressman, I probably won’t get an answer for that either.
    Actually, no answer would be better than the time Yvonne wrote in about a Social Security issue. She got a whole $ 1.00 for her trouble.
    But then again, $ 1.00 was almost a half gallon of gas at the time.

So……have ya’ll written your “beloved” leadership and what were the results?

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I tried to email our Governor several weeks ago, about the sky rocketing rental issues in our area. That it seems like gouging to me. I am not sure i sent to correct place, regardless no answer. I am ready to get in the street and sling curse words.like everyone else:D

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Once, in the 1980s when my father started receiving Social Security. That triggered a built in reduction in his pension benefits, which was quite substantial, maybe 60% as I recall.

We had a new Senator here named Wyche Fowler. I inquired whether anything could be done about the "Notch" problem concerning the way Social Security benefits were calculated for those born 1917-1921. Both my parents were born during that period. Neither of them were aware of the issue and I never mentioned it to them.

Sen. Fowler sent a very nice reply letter. Unfortunately he was a one term Senator.

THE NOTCH BABIES

"A number of legislative attempts have been made over the years to give notch babies additional benefits, but none have been successful."

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have written to my representatives several times over the years; typically receive a "canned" response but nothing of any substance.

John West, Bobby Cole and Ed Wilson like this.
  5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I wrote to my congressman a few times and got a response. It was mostly a canned response and was probably done by a staffer. He is an entrenched Democrat and knows on which side his bread is buttered on, so I quit being so naive to think it would do any good.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the only way to get through to some people in our government is for them to see us coming with a bucket of tar and a bag of feathers.

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There was once when I had a Senator’s attention but it wasn’t because I personally wrote him. The then Sen. DeMint was notified by VA affairs in Greenville, S.C. that my VA claim was being bogged down. He started the wheels in motion but left the Senate and went on to be the President of The Heritage Foundation which left Lindsey Graham (of all people) with the reins. Needless to say, Graham is a member of good standing in the Federal Government’s bureaucratic Club of Slow Individuals and one of the lead members of the Society of Government Procrastinator’s so I heard nothing after DeMint’s departure.

Long story shortened, I moved back to Huntsville, Alabama and pursued anew with my claim and all I got was a bunch of malarkey from whichever Senator’s aide saying there was nothing he could do.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I just don't believe when people in government say "there's nothing we can do". Why are they in government if there is nothing they can do. It's not a question, it's a sad fact.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I only have one federal rep who responds (sometimes) to correspondence. Don Young, who died last Friday, would respond asking if you wanted his newsletter but nothing else. The worthless Lisa Murkowski probably knows how much I hate her and doesn't respond at all as I am not a big donor to her campaign. Don Sullivan, however, does sometimes respond, especially on VA items. I just recently emailed him asking him to be a voice of reason in our involvement in Ukraine, but he never responded. aHe is a reserve Colonel in the Marine Corps and served a couple tours in the Middle East, so he is aware of what it is like to be in combat.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Never write them .I did get to tell them in Tallahassee what I thought of them about 20 years ago, but wouldn't do that in todays world.How the only time you get to talk is when they are campaining if at all. And what selfish people they were. I got tired of seeing the rude slobs talking on their phones while their constitutes were speaking.:mad: Reminded me how true the saying is "A NATION OF SHEEP WILL BE RULED BY WOLVES". We stopped paying attention to them like we use to a couple hundred years ago.:) Most of us were troo busy making a living and like Adams said " those who put security before liberty will end up losing both." partaquote

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Remember lobby-hissssst ? Persuading congress with money - every day.
    That's how things get done.
    Those with the money pay for it to be done, wah - la , it's done. Oh, sometimes with the appearance of arguments/ debates/ protocols or rules being followed, but accomplished by the money in any case, with few if any exceptions every day at every level from pre-school to post-graduate to multi-national corporations - controlled by money - the god of this fleshly world.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I recently wrote both my Congressional senators and received canned responses. I have yet to respond, but I may...I gotta think about how to approach it. One of the arrogant S.O.B.s sent out a snarky tweet about the newly-minted Republican governor's shoddy response to the recent snowstorm we had...but the inauguration had yet to happen. The Democrat dweeb was still in charge. To make matters worse, this senator (Tim Kaine, Hillary's running mate) had been governor here, so it's not as though he didn't know when the transition occurred. No doubt he'll run for reelection as a "uniter."

My state and local politicians and I mostly know each other by sight. The representatives of a couple of other regional districts know me in passing from some of the events I've been to and the support I've lent them. I am also with a group that goes to the state open house that precedes the annual legislative session, and we get eyeball-to-eyeball with every single state legislator and we talk ("Lobby Your Legislator Day.") In that capacity I've spoken with representatives from all across the state over a period of years (some years more active than others.)

My part of the county recently got redistricted, so we lost a really good state representative and got put in a "not-so-good" district. But as I was telling a friend (who used to be a county supervisor here), it's not as though either of them exert any local control over us...and we just got placed behind enemy lines. We are now constituents of those who militate against our freedoms. We have standing to complain. So it's a good thing.

This is why we need to get back our Republic. The Fed takes care of the military, and the state & local people who impact our daily lives have to see us in person...and we hire & fire them. We cannot hire or fire the Federal reps from other states...they are not supposed to rule over us.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This only exists because our Federal Republic has been perverted.
    This only exists where power have been unconstitutionally aggregated.

14. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never wondered why it exists - since knowing that the whole world, every worldly country/ government known, is unjust, perverted, controlled.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Tammy Baldwin is my Senator and she is worthless. I get form letters often with nothing to do with the original subject.
    Ron Johnson is OK but only does stuff near election time.
    My Congressman Grothman is THE BEST. But he is only one man.