Social Media

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm still seeing mine.

groups.png

I don't use an app though, so that may be the problem.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

It haddisappered only I-Mac

3. Ken Anderson

I'm seeing other complaints about the Facebook app, so it's probably a glitch that will right itself before long.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not so sure an owner's manual for FB would do any good either. I've been trying to get them or whoever it is to resolve a problem with a game I'm subscribed to. I'm directed to here and then somewhere else; given instructions for this and it doesn't match what I see, so I'm back to square one.

I gave up and just reported it as a complaint. Maybe that will get the ball rollin', eh.

5. Al Amoling

Registered

If there is no $ involved then forget it

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It's about keeping them on their toes. What's the point of making something available if it's not working properly, even if there is no money involved?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Al Amoling

Registered

If they've already milked that game they're probably going to put fixes on the back burner.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Uh, did it suddenly re-appear around 2100 hrs. on Sunday night?

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Al Amoling, I thought about that but at least they will be aware and maybe I'm not alone. :D;)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Al Amoling

Registered

wouldn't know that cuz I'm in bed by then

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess I'm the lucky one...I was never on Facebook!:p

Hal

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You probably just watch television and are happy with whatever news that the mainstream media wants to tell people, so there is no reason that you would want a different news source, @Hal Pollner .

I really like to get news from different perspectives, and see what is going on in different parts of the world, not just what a news channel wants to say. They mostly talk on TV about the same few things, over and over, all day long, and the mainstream media are totally slanted in the things they say for news.

As an example, it was reported by CNN that there were a lot of empty seats at the Trump rally in Oklahoma.
    What they didn’t tell you was that the picture they showed was taken several hours before the rally actually started, and only a few people had arrived into the stadium at the time of that misleading picture.
    On Facebook, there are pictures and reports from people who were actually there at the rally, so you can see first-hand reports of what is happening.

So, for this (and other reasons), I really enjoy getting news from places like Facebook and Twitter, where the “reporters” are real people , and not just paid to say what the company wants them to report.

Here is an example of real news, from the Oklahoma Trump rally, posted by someone who was actually there during the rally, and you can see that it is way different from the almost-empty building that CNN was showing for the rally.

B4EB0F4B-0589-42BD-B0DF-B13FF2E15ABF.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

That's the same thing they did when they compared Obama's inauguration crowd with Trump's. The photo of Obama's inauguration was taken while it was going on, while the one they used for Trump was taken a full six hours beforehand.

14. Yvonne Smith

Another good reason not to depend on CNN (or any of the other major networks) for their “Fake Noose” reports !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Well, I am happy to report that my facebook page is working properly again ! It was kind of strange, because the app started working on my small ipad, but still not on the large one, and then a day or so later, that one started working right, too, and I am back to being able to get all of my important news right away from Facebook and Twitter.

I have also joined another social media site , called Parler, which has suddenly taken off like a rocket after Twitter censored a couple of President Trump’s tweets.
    Twitter has been banning some of the main conservatives, and they just banned another one who had over 200,000 followers; so in the last few days, Parler has almost doubled in size as more and more Trump supporters are getting an account there. It probably won’t be too much longer before President Trump has an account there, too !

I know that online news from social media is not important to some people (like @Hal Pollner ); but I really love finding out things as they are happening and reading eye-witness reports from “regular people” who are right there and seeing what is happening.

Ken Anderson and Al Amoling like this.