Some Digital-Age Jobs Know No Age

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Louis Ruiz, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Welcome Wallace,
    My attorney and friend (attorney first, then, friend) died recently. It made me aware that GOOD caring lawyers are in short supply. So there are vacancies for such a person everywhere.
    In your post retirement travels maybe you could find a geographic location that you love and hang out a shingle. It need not be such a high powered stressful environment as you are used to so that you can enjoy a bit more leisure time.
    Of course, sometimes it is hard to just retire and you may miss the stress and prestige. I would think that you could always find a position in the private sector.
    Good luck and, again, welcome.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been asked to maintain a blog for an organization. I probably won't be able to point you to it because companies and organizations don't like to publicize that they are hiring out for content. It's not unusual, though. When you see a blog page attached to a law firm's site, for example, or a company, unless it's nearly empty (as many of them are), it's unlikely that the lawyers are writing blog entries. I've done content writing for a real estate site before, which required buying books on real estate terminology and researching real estate topics. This will be for a non-profit company, but I'll be getting $450 per month for one blog entry per week, maybe two, but I'm only committed to one, so that's like $100 per blog entry, which can be anywhere from 300 to 1,000 words or more, although if I do any on the shorter side of the spectrum, I'll do two that week.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's a pretty good gig. I have to think that you learn a lot doing that.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

This is working well, by the way. As I agreed to maintain their website as well as the blog, I will be getting $1,450 per month, so that's not bad. The website is already built, so I just need to add things as they come up and make any changes they might want, and I am committed to only one blog entry per week, although I'll throw in some extra ones, at least for a while, so that they can more quickly have a blog that has more than a few posts. I'm not even advertising for this stuff anymore. It just came my way.

These things don't generally last too long, though. Once they have a year's worth of blog posts, they might decide they have enough content for their SEO purposes.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's a pretty good thing to have fall into your lap.

6. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

At 101, She's Still Out Catching Lobsters: Saw this come across the news wires (AP):

When Virginia Oliver started trapping lobster off Maine’s rocky coast, World War II was more than a decade in the future, the electronic traffic signal was a recent invention and few women were harvesting lobsters. Nearly a century later, at age 101, she’s still doing it. The oldest lobster fisher in the state and possibly the oldest one in the world, Oliver still faithfully tends to her traps off Rockland, Maine, with her 78-year-old son Max. She’s still loading pogeys — lobster-speak for menhaden, a small fish — into traps to lure the crustaceans in. And she’s still getting up long before dawn to get on the boat and do it. “I like doing it, I like being along the water,” she said. “And so I’m going to keep on doing it just as long as I can. ”

[​IMG]

I hope my retirement jobs keep me going as long as hers has.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is a wonderful story, @John West ! I think that when people stay active (and take care of their health as much as possible ) that they can not only live longer lives, but still do more things than many other people can do at their age.

When I was growing up, the owner of the barn where I kept my horse was in his late 70’s; yet he still not only rode horses, he also bought and trained horses that had never been ridden before.
    In deep winter snow, he was outside at the horse barn, taking care of the horses. Often, we had to wade through almost hip-deep snow to get to the barn to feed the horses, and take a sledgehammer to break the ice on the water trough. The barn itself was really old, and had a plate over the door that said “Repeal Prohibition” in barely legible letters.
    This picture shows my friend riding in the local parade, and probably was almost 80 by then. (He is the one closest in the photo) He lived to be into his 90’s , although I do not know how long he was actively riding and training horses by then.

F1B331E5-6F7F-42FF-90C0-F8AD6CC96249.jpeg

8. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Aside from the benefits of working, I am a firm believer in the mental and physical health benefits of riding, be it on a horse, bicycle, scooter or motorcycle. Preferring motorcycles, I've been riding them for over 65 years. I can't ride as far or as long as I could when I was 70 but I'd like to think I have a shot at still covering some miles when I reach 90.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.