Something To Be Aware Of -- Fdic

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joy Martin, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Should we have some money in our homes? Don't keep too large a balance in our banks. I have only one bank account and of course make ZERO on it.... maybe get some out? Should we be in some fear?

Thomas Windom likes this.
  2. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am thinking of buying a safe . But the good ones I can't move on my own, and if ya have one delivered/installed .... then at least [they] know you have something worth stealing.

3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think a safe is a good idea for all kinds of reasons. Make sure you get one with the best fireproof rating you can afford. A good one can protect your stuff, even in an inferno, usually until fire department gets things under control. All important documents, some cash, unused firearms, precious items (jewelry, etc.) should go in.

Ours had to get delivered down a flight of steps into the basement and into a back room. It was a piece of cake for them because it is all they do, sell and service safes and locks, so buy from someone who knows what they are doing. Their trailer could lower it’s rear door right to ground level.

They took it off onto a heavy hand truck type of thing, used sheets of plywood (to keep the dolly wheels from sinking into the ground) to roll it to the back of the house to the basement stairs. Once there, they attached a 1/2” hand drill to the dolly as a motor to allow it to “walk” on little rotating legs, down the stair. At the bottom of the stairs, they slid if off onto these “slip stick” things that allowed them to easily slide it to the back room without ever touching the floor. Once installed, he told me, when you sell the house, sell the safe with it. Ours is not that big but it was a bit under half a ton.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't trust the big banks; the ones offering me big money to open a checking account with savings etc. I am in a credit union. But even they are concerning. We are 'owners' of the cu. Used to be, they paid us interest on our money. They lend out the money. They don't keep it around. If everyone wanted to cash out, there would not be any money for that. In the meantime, the Federal Reserve here prints all sorts of money so maybe when the trucks full of worthless paper pull up, we can just bring our wheel barrows up to a window.

They are now trying to bring about digital currency. After taking all the value from our money, they want us to trade in cash for e-money to know what everyone has and we won't because the value will be pulled out of the air.
    Gold and silver? There will probably be a black market for that but if you are caught with it, it will probably be confiscated. And have you ever tried to heft a bag of silver? I think it is like picking up a heavy bowling ball.
    Not sure a lot of people will have change for a one ounce gold coin.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Registered

Good one. Thanks for posting.

6. Joy Martin

Registered

Don't want to live in fear, but something to think about.

I buy everything with my debit card and have a credit card but don't use it, working to pay a lot of it off from some emergency stuff I helped my daughter with yrs ago.

I'm putting this out to a lot of friends and we'll see what we all do.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Thomas Windom like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Registered

Here is what one member has done already:

One member on a group said she took all her money out of the bank. I asked her how she gets along, paying cash for Everything????? I can't imagine that.

Here is what said about taking her money out:

I left enough cash in my account to pay bills. If I need, I can put cash back into my account for needs.
    I took the majority of my cash out. I just sold my house a few months ago, so I have a little extra $$ at this

time. I sure as heck don't want to loose it to the corrupt ones that want to force us to digital currency.

8. Thomas Windom

Registered

Another forum I’m on, a number of people already are doing that. They don’t keep discretionary cash in banks, only what is necessary to pay regular bills. Just about everything else they do, they use cash, no checks, no cards.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if that info won't inspire some to break into old people's homes. I told hubby we should use his 1960 buick in the barn as a safe. Double steel walled body so can't use xrays to see hundred dollar bills. He nixed that --probably would rather someone broke into his house than his baby.:rolleyes:

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't live in fear and paranoia, but we have always kept a fair amount of money in a safe in our house. It just comes in handy to not make trips to the bank or ATM, and when we couldn't go to the bank during the Covid mess.

Thomas Windom and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

being a social security recipient...direct deposit...when they do the card...we'll have to have in bank...
    we have diminished the amt considerably...into a safe here at home

Beth Gallagher and Thomas Windom like this.