Stuff You’re Trying To Talk Yourself Out Of Ordering

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It really depends on what you are trying to cut down with the weed eater. I had a gas one for years, but it finally was getting too heavy for me to carry around, and I had to ask Bobby to pull the cord to start it; so I know it was time for something different.
    I had a WORX weed eater for the last 3-4 years, and I loved it ! It was perfect for the little weedeating jobs that I wanted to do around the yard. I got it at a yard sale, so it had had a lot of use before I bought it, and it finally gave out last summer.
    This year, I bought another battery one that Walmart had on sale, (a Hart) and I like it fine,, too. I was looking for the lightest weight one I could find and the best price.
    They are much better than the little electric ones that you have to drag a cord around for, but certainly can’t compare with a gas powered one.

Bobby uses his big gas weedeaters for heavy duty cutting, and I use mine more for trimming back grass and weeds around the flowers and garden area.

Bobby Cole, Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Can't you just have two printers? Keep your inkjet and buy a small laser?

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I bought it maybe 8 years or so ago. I don't know how they are today or how they work on a regular lawn...I have some pretty thick stuff. It seems to me that there are some things that require more torque/HP than batteries can supply.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. John Brunner

Yeh, I may do that. You know, I have no idea what the color quality of it is...I've never used it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Yeh, I may do that. You know, I have no idea what the color quality of it is...I've never used it.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep, it depends on what you are trimming. I have a gas-powered hand-held that I no longer use as it is too heavy. My youngest son has a big battery-powered one (don't recall the brand) but he has a large lot of all grass and small weeds. I have a good sized area with a lot of tough weeds 3 feet high. I got a self-propelled DR trimmer that will cut down bushes with stems up to 1/4". It is electric start so wife doesn't have to yank any ropes. It is still a hassles to mow the tough areas, but she does most of her mowing from the seat of a small lawn tractor with a Bluetooth headset so she can sing along to her favorite tunes as she mows. She is a much better mower than I am and she really enjoys doing it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am soooo looking forward to getting rid of
    - snow blower
    - weed whacker
    - lawn mower
    - chipper shredder
    - leaf blower
    - a whole assortment of yard tools
    - snow shovels

There is not a single physical thing, right now, I want to buy. Once we get into the new house, we will increase our streaming options and we will have to buy somethings of course but there is nothing really that I’m looking forward to buying.

8. John Brunner

Regarding heavy gas weed eaters...

I bought a harness from Amazon when I got my Stihl:

weedeater harness.jpg

The weed eater snaps onto the clip on the orange pad (which protects your clothes from the thing rubbing or getting snagged.) All of the weight of the weed eater is borne by the shoulder straps.

Obviously, your weed eater needs to have a place near the trigger/fulcrum to clip it. You could easily rig something for the task (like a hose clamp & a carabiner.)

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  9. John Brunner

Well, I did not talk myself out of buying a new printer. Now I gotta figure out how to get the thing set up to wirelessly talk to my laptop instead of the Verizon MiFi. I've not read good things about Brother's tech support.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. John Brunner

What are the specs on that saw, Don? I've been looking at getting an EGO.

Either 14"/2.5AH or 16"/5.0AH. The price difference is more than $100. I have a gas chain saw for the hefty stuff, I want something easier to handle for cutting back brush.

11. John Brunner

@Nancy Hart Did you get an electric chainsaw? I'm not sure having the battery backpack is such a bad idea. It would certainly make the saw a lot lighter to hold, but the risk is pretty obvious. I looked at the EGOs at Lowes yesterday and am still thinking what I want to do.

I asked Don for the specs on the DeWalt he got, but I'm leaning towards a Makita, since I already have some of their battery tools. The higher-amperage saw batteries would work on my hand tools, but the 3AH tool batteries would probably not last long in the saw. But the EGO has a 56v battery vs the 18v in the Makita.

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't recall the specs in all, but it has a 12 inch bar and has worked for me about 45 minutes with a 4 AH battery. It is light enough that I can use one hand (although not recommended by Dewalt) if I am on a ladder. It is definitely slower than my gas saws, but it fills a need for ease of use and convenience. I don't know if @Faye Fox is around much, but she can give you the skinny on the Stihl she uses. The Stihl would be much more expensive than the others, but may be better. Although since Stihl recently laid off most of its workers somewhere on the East Coast, it might be easier to by from Lowes or Home Depot.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

My wants are Simple, some quality lamb chops. Prices are Wild, so I've given up looking. I could look now but prices are NOT coming down on all that's gone up...

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. John Brunner

I looked online at Stihl. There is a big price jump to them from everyone else. A couple of years ago I broke down and bought a Stihl 2 cycle weed eater because I got tired of the short-lived garbage everyone else was putting out. It was worth the money, although the sales guy steered me to what was in stock instead of what I really needed. I had not heard of layoffs. I hope it doesn't hit the local shop, although he's not just a Stihl dealer.

I found another Makita that takes two 18v 5Ah batteries rather than the Makita that takes one 18v 4Ah battery. It comes with (4) batteries so you've always got a fresh set. The 36v kit one is only a few bucks more than the 18v saw plus buying a second battery. I'll be able to use the 5Ah batteries in my Makita hand tools, and that higher-end saw comes with a dual battery charger.

It's in my Amazon cart waiting for me to rationalize processing the order.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

No, not yet.

Just yesterday the chainsaw wouldn't start. When I unscrewed the gas cap, there was a vacuum in the tank. Then it started. The vacuum has happened before, but I never associated it with not starting. The "internet " says the vacuum is caused by a bad air inlet vent. They are cheap and easy to replace.

There are probably other things wrong also. So I looked for a carburetor and found this whole kit for $18.99. I think it's worth a gamble. The little white thing that looks like a bottle is the inlet vent.

https://www.amazon.com/Anzac-Carbur...0785STJCH/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There's a YouTube video on how to replace everything for my exact saw. If this thing would ever start reliably, I wouldn't even consider a battery chainsaw.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  16. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I might have posted a pic of it elsewhere, but whilst it did take me a while to convince myself I need it, I’m ecstatic about getting my little hand held cordless chainsaw.

I did some smallish jobs with it and was completely satisfied but the other day I quartered a 10” cedar log I had stored sometime back and it didn’t balk a bit.
    About a month or so ago a large tree limb fell in the back yard and instead of grabbing the gas job, I used the little hand held saw and finished the whole thing in about the amount of time it would have taken to gas and oil up the big machine.

My next job with it is to cut down a bamboo grove and I have no doubt that it’ll do the job.

IMG_0025.jpeg