Stupid Things In Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, May 4, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't remember the name of the movie now since I watched it yesterday and have slept since then. I was going to post about it at the time but I thought that there was already a thread for stupid things found in movies, but I have just paged through the whole list twice and can't find it so I'll just merge them if I come across it later.

I was watching a movie last night in which the protagonists were supposedly lost in the wilderness, many miles away from anything, and being hunted down by some crazy survivalist guy. At one point, they hear their stalker behind them so they hide in a large, thick, cement culvert.

What? I thought they were hopelessly lost in a wilderness, many miles away from anything? What the hell is a culvert doing there? To make matters worse, it doesn't dawn on either of them that the existence of a culvert indicates that they are no longer hopelessly lost in a wilderness. If someone decided to place a culvert out in the middle of the wilderness, they had to have built a road in order to get that much concrete in there and, however old that road might be, they should be able to follow it out of the wilderness.

Do movie people, who grew up in a large city somewhere, really believe that things like culverts are just haphazardly placed out in the middle of the wilderness, or that nature couldn't figure out how to move water around without the placement of a culvert?

I think that's it because I watched another movie a few weeks ago in which a couple had broken down on a lonely road, and they had no idea where they might go for help, but there were street lights.

I'll put that down with tires squealing as a car rounds a corner on a dirt road.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, don't get me started. All the morons in the dark deserted mansions that hear a noise and don't simply GTFO of there. :rolleyes: I'd be like, "bye, Felicia!!" (But that would make for a very short movie.)

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, here's another. In the old Star Trek TV show (and I suppose in the movies), the crew had to use the "transporter room" to be vaporized and transported to wherever they were going on Planet X. But when they "transport" back to the Enterprise, they can be standing anywhere. :blink:

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I got that one, @Beth Gallagher . They had to be in the transporter room so that they didn't transport anything but themselves. On the planet, they had some kind of cone shaped thing that would only cover them. See? :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I've mentioned it somewhere here before but another thing that drives me nuts is something I see over and over, in movies and television series. Whenever someone digs a hole on the screen, it's as if the hole had been pre-dug. They can dig a hole six-feet deep in the middle of a woods in order to bury a body, and yet manage not to hit a single tree root or a rock. Have you tried digging a hole in the woods? It's not that easy. Of course, having been covered by glaciers a couple of times, it's hard to dig a hole anywhere in Maine.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

A day ago, watched "Brampton's Own"

There was a character that they never identified. She would be in dinner scenes, a birthday party scene.
    She could have worked in the ice cream store and no explanation would have been needed.

OT I hate when adults talk about anything sexual to a child or in front of a child, on t v, in a movie or any context, whether the child understands or not. Every video production that includes a child, needs a producer with a moral compass.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Movies...……..The Good, The Bad and the Very, Very Ugly.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

What was wrong with it, worth watching for 'the Blondie' character - what's his bloomin name ? ……………..
    The one that calls him 'Blondie' not Blondie himself, I know who he is :p
    The music was good too - the film was just a bit too long though, half hour edit needed, maybe an hour even :p

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I suppose it's just my obsessive personality, but I always notice when people in movies don't lock their doors or walk off and leave the refrigerator open, etc. I am so anal that it actually bugs me. :D

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I always notice when people get in a car on the opposite side, and scoot over. Who does that?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

How often have you see movies in which a woman is being chased through a dark woods by a crazed killer, one who wouldn't have a chance of finding her if she'd only shut the hell up? Instead, she's constantly whining, in order to demonstrate how afraid she is, and the noise is what leads the killer to her. Hide in some bushes or behind a tree, and shut the hell up. I prefer to believe that most actual women would do that. Alternatively, the crazed killer might be stalking her in her darkened home. Again, you know the house. He doesn't. Hide, and shut the hell up. Crazed killers rarely think to turn the lights on.

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

He was the amazing Eli Wallach Patsy - the star of the film (in my humble opinion) ……….
    :p

13. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Watched some movie yesterday. George Clooney is doing battle with some Serbian terrorists. Drive into a village square destroy three cars, about 20 people including civilians get killed. The next scene him and his pertner is in a hotel room.
    They spent ten minute raising hell killing people and just walked away unchallenged? Well Alrighty then!

Patsy Faye and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Was their hair neat and tidy during and after the battle - usually is :p

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

I thought I had discussed stupid things in the movies before, but I see that it was about one specific stupid thing, so I thought I'd start a thread about stupid things in the movies.

I don't know why I'm watching it because it's really stupid, but I'm watching a movie about a serial killer who lives in an old meat plant in the middle of nowhere, and who has been killing people there for years. These people, four of them, show up at the place. He's trying to kill them and they repeatedly knock him out, with a board, with a baseball bat, with a rock, and they even shoot him once. Each time, they hit him once, knock him down, then they throw away their weapon and run. Of course, he gets up again and gives chase.

Instead of hitting him a couple of dozen times with the bat, they hit him once, then throw the bat away - and so on. Perhaps they'd have shot him earlier but they had thrown the gun away too, later retrieving it.

This guy has bodies stacked up all over the place, and he's trying to add yours to the collection. Why hit him only once? Would it have exhausted you to hit him a few times? If so, what's the story with the gun? Would it have been too hard to pull the trigger a couple of extra times? Why throw the gun away?