Summer Storm

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, May 25, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It feels like we're going to have our first summer storm of the year. The wind is picking up, the sky has that indescribable look about it that often precedes a storm, and I think I heard some thunder in the distance. I could always check the weather reports but I enjoy being surprised by the weather.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that it must be a really BIG storm, @Ken Anderson ! The thunder that you are hearing (in the distance) is down here in Alabama, and the wind is blowing and now the rainstorm has also arrived.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I must admit the weather lately has been giving everyone lots of surprises....even the Weather persons who think they can predict it. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They now rely almost solely on the computer algorithms, and they are not yet as accurate as the old "watch the weather pattern" system that preceded computers and satellites.

5. Ken Anderson

When I was a kid, the Green Bay, Wisconsin channel, that was the only one we could get, gave barometers to people in different parts of their viewing area who they'd call for weather reports.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Definitely hope this is our LAST summer of storms in Florida. Would take t-storms over hurricanes and tropical storms any day anymore. However, with more and more folks moving to Florida, and know about the humidity and summer storms here, they just don't care. I think salaries here are much more of a draw than anything else.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I would not want to live with hurricanes either; but when I went with my daughter to Orlando for the week, I really enjoyed it down there, and loved seeing the orange trees, and all of the more tropical plants that can be grown that far south.
    I would definitely NEVER want to live in a city as large as Orlando was, and can totally understand your desire to get out of the large city and back to a place where you feel like you belong.
    Since I can’t take the humidity here, either, it probably would not be much different for me down in Florida, but I would enjoy being able to have a year around garden if I lived down there.
    We drove through some really beautiful little towns along the western coast of Florida, and it was wonderful being so close to the ocean. I really miss that from when I lived on the west coast of Washington, and I would like living close to the ocean again, except for the storms that come through. There.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have come find out that we love mountains (Rockies) and freshwater lakes much, much more than the ocean. Yes, the humidity here can be, or is, a killer. 95 degrees and 90% humidity equals lots of sweat!!
    Actually, we know two "Snowbird" couples that refuse to be in Florida during the summer months. The go back to their other home in Michigan and PA.

9. Ken Anderson

I enjoy summer storms. While I am not necessarily standing outside in the rain, the lightning, and the thunder, I like it. Real rain seems to have a much better effect on the garden than sprinklers, too.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss storms and rain very much...I'm a cloudy gloomy day kind of person..always have more energy.

Bright sun hurts my eyes...always has.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh we had a whopper of a lightening storm and heavy rain from midnight until 2am last night. According to the media reports, 50,000 bolts of lightening hit the London area in just 2 hours. At 1am this morning I stood at the back door and just watched it, it was the most spectacular storm I've seen in a long time....forked lightening, sheet lightening and torrential rain , and the sky was a beautiful purple hue

Today has been very hot and muggy, we got the gardening done..(just built a new barn shed last week, and that still has to have a Marine Ply floor put on the base, but that's for another day ) ...and today the humidity was so high, I thought I might melt away ***phew***...but I got the lawns mowed and cut back a whole load of Ivy that wraps around our brick shed.. then I washed my car, and hubs was building new gravel boards for the boarders and finishing those off by getting them hammered into the ground.... It took the best part of the day.. but just as he was finishing the boards there was huge claps of thunder, and down came the heavy rain around 5.30pm..it's stopped now at almost 7pm and it's cooled the air a little but I've still got all the windows open, and the table fan going to keep the room cool ( no AC here )...

To further compound things I've managed to put my back out so I'm having to sit with a heated pad to ease the pain!!...what a day!! :eek:

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I miss the real summer storms here. It was one of the first thing I noticed when I moved from Georgia to Alaska--few thunderstorms. The Interior has thunder, but it is mostly dry lightning that causes wildfires. On the west coast of Alaska, there were elders in their 60s and 70s who had never seen lightning or heard thunder in their lives. We have earthquakes and the occasional volcanic eruption, however...and snow.

13. Ken Anderson

No rain yet, but the wind has picked up and I can hear the thunder. Either we're going to have a thunderstorm or North Korea is bombing East Millinocket. Thunder, and lightning, and rain, oh my!

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Does it have to be N. Korea? Couldn’t it be a tad more hopeful like “the sound of thousands of extreme leftists headed for Canada? “.

Oh well, get the umbrella out .......... upload_2018-7-10_15-40-16.jpeg

I just looked at that picture again. That girl is just plain mean! Skipping in a rain storm whilst spilling her mama’s new box of salt meanwhile possessing an evil smile from ear to ear.

Precocious little vixen too. That dress is a bit short for the 30’s or 40’s when the ad came out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

We're having another thunderstorm right now, and I'm loving it. It rained all day yesterday, was uncomfortably warm this afternoon (the 80s), but is cooling off considerably with the rain and the wind. That's what I love about Maine. When the weather starts getting too hot, it rains.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.