Tech Social Sites, Games And Youth

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Do our Youth spend too much time online? I say some do. I know in China they had such a problem with it young men were actually forgetting to eat and drink, many died from dehydration and starvation from gaming .etc...
    Hard to believe but it is what I read years ago. Now they have institutions for this kind of problem.
    Especially gamers who can make money off the habit but still it is a major problem for some. Some do the opposite; they gain too much weight from sitting too much.
    My kind natured grandson was a gamer and lost lots of weight but seemed ok.
    He did not drink or do drugsWe all want an answer we will never get. His last post online was " anyone know how to help me with stress ". My son saw that and had to stop looking. His other son went back and looked and said it was full of games.
    He never lost "war" and was known as The Beast or The One. He lived with his grandmother, and uncle. His mother or father couldn't stop him. My son was on the way to his house an hour away when he got the terrible call.
    I think if he would have had more responsibility and less time things may have been different, but then maybe not. I am just looking for reasoning, I guess.
    Still I don't think it is good for any young person to spend too much time on AI.
    We spend time on social media, but also have lots of jobs to do around the house. Sometimes we take breaks offline.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4271...tZWRpYS9jaGluYS1vbmxpbmUtZ2FtZXMuaHRtbA&ntb=1

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hugs to you, my dear Marie.
    I don't really have any answers for you. But I hear your heart.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a nephew who is into online gaming, and he is well into his 30s. He is the only one of the 3 kids my brother had who went to college, and when he came back he finally got a job managing a COSTCO gas station and picked up right where he left off (if he dropped it at all) playing online games until the wee hours of the morning, still living at home. He's a very smart guy, but intelligence has nothing to do with this stuff...it might even be a disadvantage.

I also think that these days, our world has way too many reasons to avoid it and way too many ways to do so, although "screens" (including television) can have an addictive nature all unto themselves. It's such a cliché for each generation to decry "how things are these days," but perhaps they (and we) were right. "Progress" seems to be defined by "stuff" and "convenience" and not by character. I guess each generation's learning curve starts at Zero.

My heart aches for your family, Marie. Off the top of my head, I can think of half a dozen suicides I've been near in my life, from age 12 to men in their 40s and a few in between. They all hurt, they are all confusion, and they're all a little frightening. Every one of them predated online gaming. I think they all predated the internet.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe it is another way of indoctrination as were/are movies and TV. I'm only talking about some of these entertainments. Just from TV and movies growing up I had a misguided expectation of what life was going to be like. I had very little realistic guidance from anyone around me.

Kids growing up today are fortunate if they have good mentors, instead of people teaching them horrific things like "you don't have to be a female, you can be a male". Just a little snip here and there:confused: Some of the worse part of computers, for all of us I think, atleast it is for me, it makes it easier to isolate, not just from people, but from life.

I'm grateful I grew up in a time when atleast my mom pushed all the kids outdoors to get rid of us, but like I said, I'm grateful. We only got to go to a movie maybe once a month if that, and they were usually a Disney movie, decent back in the 50s.

I play puzzle-type games online, but in spending time on Steam, I've seen the "gamers" games that are literally full of violence. PS I'll add in the popular games you can be anyone, or any thing you want to be, an alternate self. So let's try being this for the day, anything to avoid being who I am or wished I was :(

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you Mary.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In my opinion, the transistor radio was the first direct line the outside world had into the lives of children outside of the supervision of their parents.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I guess we all have some form of addiction, some are just more damaging than others.

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

yes, and I had one of those too, I had forgotten! I am reminded every year when I watch A Christmas Story when the two, little boys turn on the Little Orphan Annie program they probably wait for all week ;)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

We were not allowed to be too idle, like you we grew up mostly outside, running through the woods, swimming building tree huts .
    When we visited the city we went to the drive-in theater took a bus downtown to theatre. But mostly we went roller-skating or now and then Funtown Amusement Park.

Kids today don't have the privilege of skate rinks, taking a bus or living a rural life. Gangs, crime have all but closed down skate rinks and downtown are dangerous now.

We blame the youth, yet we are the ones who sat back on our laurels and guilt and let their nation go to hell. I am not sure though it is anyone's fault, seems all nations have regressed into apathy now.
    Same thing has happened since time began.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Gamers can make multi millions playing these games online and it draws in millions who think they can too.
    Cory was said to make money off his gaming, wonder what he did with it, since he never went anywhere or had outside interest. Not saying he made a lot just saying he did make money playing games.

Scroll down several times to see the winners and the millions they make.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=7723...b3JlLXRoYW4tMTIwLW1pbGxpb24taW4tMjAxOS8&ntb=1

Denise Evans likes this.