Tell Me What Kind Of Day You Will Have Today. Here's Mine

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 4, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I finally finished the firewood racks. When you buy firewood you get all sorts of odd cuts...it is not perfectly shaped pristine quartered logs. So I sort it, mainly by the various sizes of wood I use to get the stove started. I installed another tier on one of the racks and have nearly all the wood sorted and put on the racks. I got maybe 2 hours of work left and one more load to have delivered and stacked. Then I can put this darned thing behind me and move on to the next project.

Von Jones and Faye Fox like this.
  2. John Brunner

I posted in the "Neighbors" thread that the guys next door drove their zero turn mowers to my place yesterday and cut half of my 7 cleared acres (my lot is over 50 acres total.) So this afternoon after I finished sorting firewood, I took my tractor by to spread a big pile of gravel one of them had delivered when we had a fresh layer put down on our right-of-way. I spread some down their driveway to fill in the divots, made them an area off to the side of their driveway to park their cars, and moved the rest of it to the end of their driveway for future use. I'm happy to do it...they're all such good folks. And I get to play "construction guy" with my tractor.

After I did that, the two of them came back and finished my "yard." It takes me 7 hours to mow it on my tractor. It took the two of them less than 2 hours (maybe 3 1/2 total man hours.)

So now I'm drinking coffee and watching TV, and my grass is all cut. Life is good.

Ruby Begonia and Von Jones like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been on a tear, cleaning out stuff and getting things organized. Seems like one thing leads to another and the dominoes fall. Not sure when the new adjustable bed frame will be delivered; they said it could be 2 weeks. We need to dispose of a double bed that is in a spare room, at least the mattress and box spring, so I decided to call Waste Management (our regular household garbage service) and see what it would cost for them to haul it off.

I was astonished to learn that our service includes "bulk items" every Thursday... whaaaaa??? We are allowed two "bulky" items every single Thursday. How did I not know this; we have had service with WM for 20 years!

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

5. John Brunner

The line forms behind ME!!!

6. Shirley Martin

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sorry y'all. I'm still sifting through stuff in one of our son's old bedroom closet. This could take months. :D

Shirley Martin likes this.
  8. John Brunner

My spot in line is up for sale on EBay. (Don't tell Beth.)

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Hell, by the time she gets to us, we might be gone to our eternal rewards. :)

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

That's good. We only get one pick up a month but no limit and must be separated.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well today being Thursday, we dragged the bed and box spring out to the curb next to the garbage can. It wasn't 30 minutes later when a couple of guys in an old junky truck drove up and loaded them up. :D So now I'll never know whether WM would have actually picked them up or not. (But at least the mattress is gone!)

12. John Brunner

I love a healthy ecosystem!

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today I dragged the carpet shampooer upstairs and shampooed the bedroom where the discarded bed used to live. I thought it would be a good time to get everything spiffed up while the furniture was out of there. I wiped down the baseboards and ceiling fan, too. So when the carpet dries, we'll move the queen bed into that room and put the furniture back in place, then I'll shampoo the carpet in the other bedroom where the new bed will go.

It's a gorgeous day so I sat outside for a while, reading. Love this spring weather.

14. John Brunner

I worked a church yard sale all day. Man, people live their yard sales (I know I do.)

Linens go real fast (sheets, curtains, pillowcases) , as do clothes. There is a local woman (not part of our church) who puts up jams, preserves & jellies and we sell them for her, so it's my opportunity to replenish my supply...it is soooo good. We sell sausage & egg biscuits for $1 early in the day, then fire up the hot dogs mid-morning (also $1.) We also sell baked goods.

I'll go back early next week with my truck & trailer and haul most of the remaining items to the main Goodwill drop-off center in Charlottesville. I did this last year as well...everything buy baby furniture. Goodwill (at least the ones here) will not take strollers, high chairs, etc. that potentially have safety recall notices out there. Goodwill lacks the resources to do the research to make certain that those items are safe to sell.

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though I can have all my laudry done for me I enjoy doing a small wash my self just to pass the time and for the exercise. Such was the case today.