Temper Tantrums

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Admin, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

From time to time, I have to make decisions for the forum, and it is almost guaranteed that not everyone is going to agree with me. If everyone agreed, it wouldn't be a decision.

I try to be fair. I try to be reasonable. I try to weigh the concerns that you might have, and then I make a decision. In whatever decision I make, I might even be wrong. I'm not perfect, and there are sometimes no perfect decisions available.

When you disagree with something that I have decided upon or done, you can feel free to let me know. You can call me names in private if you want. Depending on what names you're calling me, you can probably even do that in public, and I won't ban you.

But when you throw a tantrum and do something that makes this forum less than it was before, I have to make another decision.

Because I removed two videos that other forum members had objected to, a member of this forum apparently got angry and removed the source from dozens of photos and images that he had posted in the forum, leaving broken image posts all over the forum, which makes the forum look broken. By removing the source, I mean that these images were hosted elsewhere, so when they are removed from their source, they leave a broken image here.

I have spent more than an hour deleting these now empty posts, which still leaves any responses they may have garnered from other forum members look odd, since they are responses to images that are no longer there. I've wasted more than an hour on this already, and I'm afraid that I'm not even close to being done.

I have banned that forum member for thirty days, out of fear that he or she will take other steps to harm the forum. I am not being paid for running this forum. Running this forum costs me money, and I can't even deduct it from my taxes. If I can get things cleaned up, I might remove the ban earlier than that because I don't hold grudges, but I want to spend my time here contributing to the forum, not undoing things that someone has done because they are angry.

Please, if you get angry with me over something, you might have every reason to be angry with me, but if you don't want to actually talk to me about it, just leave. Walk away for a while if you think that will help. Join another forum and see if they can do a better job of it. You'll always be welcome back. Why do people feel the need to break stuff and slam the door on their way out?

I am not going to discuss this with members of the forum because it wouldn't be fair of me to talk about someone who isn't here to speak for themselves. There is no need to speculate about who it is because I am not going to discuss it with anyone other than the one person involved.

I am mentioning it here only because you might notice gaps in some conversations, or you might learn about it from someone. It's not a secret. The specifics just aren't anyone else's business.

Enough said. I am going to go back to work trying to clean things up.

-- Ken Anderson

2. Admin

I had to remove dozens of posts, and there are probably more that I haven't come across yet. Nevertheless, I have reduced the ban to one week.

3. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Admin

By the way, the person involves says that s/he wasn't involved and didn't do it so I'll accept that as a coincidence and a mystery. Welcome back and I apologize for the misunderstanding.