Tents, Tarps, & Hammocks

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One thing that I've noticed while shopping for some new camping stuff is that the largest percentage of outdoor equipment is available only in gaudy colors, such as red, blue, yellow, or bright green, whereas I would prefer camo or at least a base color. Camo is still readily available in the cheaper stuff, but the trend for mid-range or high-range camping gear seems to be moving toward colors that you could spot from a mile away.

I don't get it. While I am not necessarily hiding from people, I don't go camping in order to attract a crowd, so I don't know why I'd want to have camping gear in colors reminiscent of a butterfly trying to attract a mate. I'm not looking for something that says, "Look at me! I'm in the woods! Ain't I special!"

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's interesting. Last time I bought camping stuff, it was all Army green. Perhaps a surplus store might offer the classic stuff.

I wonder why the change. Maybe it's for those taking up Non-Traditional Housing in our inner cities. I mean, you can't build Coleman in an Eddie Bauer neighborhood.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Our tents are older so guess I'm glad now. Mostly tan or cameo green.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL guess they think they are in style? Or maybe its just another plan to make the tent cities stand out to drive the working people nuts who's property values just took as dive.:eek:

5. Ken Anderson

The problem with the classic stuff is that it's heavy. The stuff that can protect you while not adding a whole lot of weight to what you have to carry tends to be gaudy.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Ours isn't too heavy it must have came out right before they decided go circus on us campers.:)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I can still find suitable equipment, but there are a whole lot of brands that I haven't been able to consider because I don't go camping in all of the colors of the rainbow. That's taken on another meaning these days, you know. I don't want a monarch butterfly trying to mate with my tent. That might confuse the butterfly, and they have enough problems.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  8. Ken Anderson

The only thing I can think of is that a lot of people who like to consider themselves to be outdoorsmen today get lost easily, and they need to be able to find their tent.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL yes I bet thats it.

10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I always get a giggle at the "nominal" sizes of the tarps. If the package says 9x12, you're actually getting 8 1/2 × 11 1/2.

But do you get to pay a "nominal" price? Nooooo!

And who is it who decides that a tent "sleeps 6"? Only if there are six Little People who are into group snuggling.......

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Try checking out Sportsman’s Guide, @Ken Anderson . I used to buy things from them, and the price was reasonable, and the quality was good. I looked up tents on the website, and they definitely have plain and camouflage ones.
    (Tents have really gotten expensive, but it has been over 25 years since I have looked for one, so I guess that is to be expected. )

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=Tents

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When you first wondered about the bright colors I thought it might keep a hunter from shooting you. but then, no one camps out in camo ( or much else) during hunting season. I still have my first two man tent in drab green. (50 years old or more.) Wonder if it has any mouse holes in it.:eek: I just remember how it sweat so much on the INSIDE when it was cold.

Marie Mallery and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Mary maybe you should check it out and see if it survived the years? Ours isn't that old maybe 25 or 30 years old. And we lived in them for about a month when we first came here while putting in power.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

If you buy from Sportsman's Guide, first place an order for something cheap and then you'll get bombarded with coupons for your next purchase.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

We try not give them an email address. Unless we have to. They can call or write. Grocery store ask for one and we said no.

John Brunner likes this.