The Amish And The Restoration - Interesting History

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched this on Amazon Prime and thought it most interesting

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Lonnie, do you mean the Amish and the Reformation? What did you find interesting about it? I need to know more before I watch it. What sparked your interest? Did it have a history of the Amish and why they formed colonies and live and believe as they do? Did it talk of their roots in Switzerland and the Rhine region of Germany?

If this movie can enlighten me more on one of my great grandmothers that was Swiss Dutch, the same region that the Amish came from, and her parents that lived a short time in the Amish area of Ohio after coming to the USA, before traveling in a covered wagon to Texas when she was little, then I want to watch it. Otherwise, it sounds like a stale discourse on the reformation and a big yawn. I visited the Amish colonies back in the early 1970s and was fascinated with their craftsmanship.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I really goofed.. Yes I mean't REFORMATION--I continued on to watch BREAKING AMISH. It depicts the life of young people that have left or want to leave Amish & Mennonite communities.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah yes, I saw that. I have a distant cousin that runs a mission to counsel those that want to leave or have left those communities. They help them adjust to modern living without giving up their faith. Have you watched Vanilla Ice goes Amish? It was a fun series.