The Beginning

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Thomas Stillhere, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I find myself constantly finding more and more of my past already dug up rebuilt or bull dozed. Most of the schools I attended have all been rebuilt with the old structures completely torn down. Even the big beautiful church Baptist Temple is gone and now a store sits where the wing that I attended vacation bible school was located, next to the Pastors office on the very corner a half story up with his private entrance. So I have been watching for several years now the fate of the building I was born and so far it has survived the constant assault by a city that needs to lose about 4 million people instead of adding more. In 1948 around 2:30am Aug 31 I was born in this red brick building on the corner of Quitman and N. Main streets. It was a small Doctors hospital and my Dr was Edward R Vinn. They put a rail for that stupid train right up against the sidewalk and entrance. There will never be another business establishment there ever again. It has been a restaurant, a furniture store and several other stores. It is only a matter of time now and it too will be bull dozed, probably for another stupid parking lot. One of the photos with the crawler digging was when they were doing the rail install, the other is the latest after the work was completed. I am still thrilled to know that Berry Elementary looks exactly as it did in 1955 when I first started 1st grade. It has lost some frontage front and rear for street widening but overall it looks like it did the first day I saw it. The front and rear entrance looks the same and my first day I went out the wrong door and got lost, I walked for ever and started crying until some nice lady walked me home which was only about two blocks the opposite direction I was walking. One of the things I remember about the school was the beautiful smelling Magnolia Trees that lined the school near the windows. When in bloom the smell was overwhelming and you could fall asleep with very little effort.

1454.jpg Born there 1948.JPG 1454.jpg

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.