The Best Geetar Players

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dwight Ward, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

With domestic civil war, economic collapse and global nuclear war all looming, I thought it was time we named who we believe to be the best guitar players of all time from popular music. Don't name your favorites to listen to, just who you think is very good (they could be different). Name five in order of talent. I'll start.

1) Jeff Beck
    2) Jorma Kaukonen (Hot Tuna)
    3) Eric Clapton
    4) Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
    5) Jimi Hendrix

I started the topic so I can cheat with six.

6) Carlos Santana (I met him in Berkeley)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Eric Clapton
    Joe Walsh
    George Harrison
    Ann Wilson

3. Dwight Ward

Registered

All so good! Heart ... drool. Thanks, Beth.

About George Harrison. he wrote lovely melodic guitar music but didn't try the wild riffs and I don't think he could match some others in that. Stevie Ray was good but I didn't care for his taste in music.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Buddy Fite
    Al Di Meola
    Tony Mottola
    Wes Montgomery
    João Gilberto

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Registered

Okay, John. I thought I was pretty broad in my tastes. You need to tell us who they were and who they played with. The only name I recognize is Wes Montgomery.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

My older brother played trombone and was in The Army Band. He was one of the founding members of their jazz band...The Army Blues. Through him and his friends, and through a couple of guys I went to high school with who went into The Air Force Band (and played with The Airmen of Note), and through other band nerds, I got exposed to all sorts of stuff.

These guys are jazz and Brazilian samba. I'll combine what I know with their bios (lots of background I'm just learning):

Buddy Fite (June 1938 - September 2001): Fite disliked flying and had a deep love for the Pacific Northwest. Consequently he rarely played outside that area. I think all of his albums were solo stuff. The one I recall was his first (1969) 8 track.

Al Di Meola (July 1954 - ): He played with Chick Corea's band when he was in his late teens (that's what I recall of him) and did a bunch of solo stuff, both acoustic and electric.

Tony Mottola (April 1918 - August 2004): I mostly remember him from his 15 year stint with The Tonight Show Band. He put out 33 solo albums and was more or less a "featured artist/accompanist" on 101 others (I had no idea my collection has so many blots in it.) He performed with Sinatra (just the 2 of them) at Carnegie Hall & The White House.

Wes Montgomery (March 1923 - June 1968): Heart attack took him young. He played solo and with Lionel Hampton for a couple of years, doing the John Madden thing (driving all night to avoid air travel), then went back to playing local [Indianapolis] clubs. His octave-style of playing is easily recognizable. Wes was what George Benson wishes he were.

João Gilberto (June 1931 - July 2019): João is Brazilian. I head of him through his then-wife, Astrud. She sang "The Girl From Impanema." João was recording in studio one day when his wife stopped by, for some reason she impromptu sang a song with them, and the rest was history. He's the classic bossa nova composer, player and singer...not dazzling but the king of the genre.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You need better taste. :p

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Registered

That's all great guitar. I'm going to explore these guys further. Thank you, John.

9. Dwight Ward

Registered

I can't find the Jeff Beck piece I wanted on youtube. Download and listen to this. It's worth it. It's one of my favorite ever guitar works. Turn it UP!

Attached Files:

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Granted, he had skills but that's not my kind of music. Maybe I do need better taste.

11. John Brunner

Good choice! There are so many.

Speaking of Jeffs, I was gonna post Mr. Healey.

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Canadians play slower because they always have cold hands.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno about who is the best but my tastes wrap around guitarists like Earl Klugh, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Stanley Jordan, BB King and to throw in a classic blues guitarist, Albert Collins.

There is one young man though that I’ve been following lately and I do consider him to be about the best Bass guitarist I have ever heard.
    According to my younger brother, when good bassists wish to be humbled, they watch and listen to Charles Berthoud.

And…..to give a big hand to Chet Atkins, the man who founded many of the techniques used by today’s guitarists.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  14. Dwight Ward

Registered

You guys are broadening my horizons with all these jazz guitarists. Please stop it. I like my horizons where they are. Just kidding.

All the ones you cite are worthy of mention. Thanks, Bobby. I was once half-member of a band as a sort of arranger. I couldn't play well enough for the public but I had a good ear for the mix. I once explained to the bass player that he was free to create and that he was, in fact, a lead player, just at the lower octaves.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The thing about jazz is that it made a pathway for improvisation or rather, non-scripted music; the type of music that stays within a theme but allows the artists to play the notes he or she feels at the time.

Now, I definitely do not like the stuff that goes so off-beat that only the artist himself knows where he’s going with it but there are some who enjoy it for whatever reason. As one guitar artist I knew said, “I don’t care for scrambled eggs much less scrambled notes” and followed with, “it takes more talent and care to make an egg sunny side up”.

Faye Fox and Dwight Ward like this.