The Bible

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not sure why I have to explain a "like" to you, Frank. I was agreeing with Marie that I found the posts confusing. Do I need your authorization or what? :p And I'm still wondering how Cody "interrupts" a Bible verse.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As to your "stop judging those who are inked" question, wife and I have now seen two young guys with a rather large tattoo of Satan on their arm. One such young person was a cook at a Mimi's Restaurant. He was in the dining area and I asked him about his tattoo. He was completely honest about it and said "I have to like Satan a lot". We were a little shocked and was glad to see him go back into the kitchen.
    The other, yesterday afternoon, I seen this young dude walking a dog thru our apt. complex, talked to him for a minute about the dog his was walking and noticed he had Satan tattooed on his arm.

I know what Satan looks like and both tattoos were of him. Gives a Christian a very bad taste in their mouth!

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I interrupt any verse the way it's suppose to be interrupted.............as the Scripture says. We don't interprets any Bible verse the way we see fit, but the way it's suppose to be.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I believe you mean INTERPRET, not "interrupt."

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, Beth, "interpret". I just followed what you had written in your post #16. Perhaps you did mean to write, "interrupt", I don't know. :D

6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not a literalist in anything, not even in the things I believe in. I think everything is open to question. So it wouldn't be much of a surprise for me to say that I regard the bible as a game of telephone, in a sense. It seems to have started as an historical chronicle -- and history is always incomplete and one-sided. Then it seems to have become an instrument of propaganda and control. No doubt there are kernels of wisdom and advice for good behavior found within, but not more so than any other work held as scripture by other belief systems.

By game of telephone, I mean to describe the process of it being written and interpreted by a plethora of people with various perspectives, understandings and agendas over thousands of years in numerous languages with cultural references that may once have been specific but are often now obscure or so out of context with postmodern times as to be meaningless.

I'm currently reading a novel, The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry, that makes some interesting points about all the contradictions and myths in the bible. I find it useful to consider opposing points of view on all sacred cows from time to time, even mine.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Oh, I'm sure, without a doubt, that there are those that could heavily debate both the good-to-great about the Bible and those that will say "it's just a book, don't believe everything you read".

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Oh, pshaw! You surely need not explain anything to me. But, I was wondering about the like directed to Marie, not myself. I'm now confused. Nothing unusual, here!

Frank

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I put quotation marks around "interrupt" because that's what YOU SAID in your OP. I was quoting you.

And I don't know why I bother with explaining myself. I need to learn to move along. :rolleyes:

Marie Mallery and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It should give most a bad feeling because of what he represents more so than just religion.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry. But, please don't act like I'm Lon. LOL

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

How, very, very true!

My wife was very stunned to see the decal on the young ladies vehicle that stated she was a Pagan. Then I told her, "don't be surprised at how many people in America love Satan and are also Pagans."

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

The Bible has some very interesting reads. Science is just one,like the constilations and certain subjects about geography.
    Especialy the part about the earth being round when most thought it was flat.But this is mostly discussed by those who studied it.I was one but then I've forgotten some of it.
    You wouldn't think the Bible would be mentoning these constilations and solar systems.

ob: How Can I Argue with God?
    …8He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea. 9He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, of the Pleiades and the constellations of the south. 10He does great things beyond searching out, and wonders without number.…
    Berean Study Bib

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

How did they know the earth was round?

Isa,40;22,

Here is Your God!
    …21Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the foundation of the earth? 22He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth; its dwellers are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. 23He brings the princes to nothing and makes the rulers of the earth meaningless.…
    Berean Study Bible · Do

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

And how do you know how the Bible is supposed to be interpreted? When thousands of Christian scholars, robed in humility, have devoted their lives to studying the Bible and cannot agree on interpretations, it seems arrogant to me that you know the way the Bible is supposed to be interpreted and that is the way you and your wife interrupt it. So the inference is if anyone interprets it contrary to how you do, then they are interpreting it as they see fit. "as the Scripture says. We don't interprets any Bible verse the way we see fit, but the way it's suppose to be." I can find no such scripture that can be interpreted to bless arrogance and boasting. Maybe the book of Cody was torn out of all my Bible translations, including my Dr. George Lamza version that was translated from the original Aramaic.