The Cost Of Basic Food

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Julia Curtis, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I understand that.The food banks here can barely keep up but I only use the Salvation Army $15 fresh veggies thing.Cuts are here as well.

Vada Bloom likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Some of the food banks are running low here. My wife runs an "emergency food bank" that is designed to get people and families through temporary shortages until more permanent solutions can be found. She seems to have plenty for the emergency needs, but things increase come winter, which is almost upon us here.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have pretty much cut our food spending down to just basic necessities and very few snack foods or other indulgences. Bobby eats a diet that is high in protein to build muscle and carbs to give him energy to work out, and I have to keep my protein intake low because of the kidney failure; so most of the meat we buy is for Bobby and I eat some chicken and fish on some days.

I have been eating sardines or kipper snacks (smoked herring) because of the Omega 3 oils that fish have, plus the kefir and reuteri yogurt each day now.
    I started giving Marco Poodle a little bit of the kefir/yogurt, too, and it should be good for his digestion and overall health.

Beans are not only a great protein source, but they have a lot of prebiotics; so I add legumes for a lot of my protein needs, and they are much cheaper than meat is. I can add them to soups or salads, and enjoy beans either hot or cold.
    Since I am doing OMAD, and only having one meal each day, that helps cut down on grocery costs, too.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

we are trying to cut back some.
    at one time I only ate 2 meals a day ,and want to go back to that. I stopped putting foods on the table years ago. We fill our plate from the stove. We do sit at table to eat but TV he usually has on.
    We have to cut our grocery and household spending WAY down.

As for prices. I have used same grocery app for years.Here recently I have been listing the price of items bought in Note section. Walmart is about the only main place to buy grocery 55 miles away, so I do not worry about what store bought from. Since our last shopping I noticed these price changes.
    Van Camp Pork and Beans was 94 cents, now 98.
    Diet Coke was 1,88 now 2,68
    Lipton soup mix was 1.55,now 1.68
    Bananas was 27 cents a lb,now 57 cents
    The list goes on...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think most Americans are reducing what they spend not only on food but on other things as well. That is, in part, causing the contraction of the U.S. (and by transfer the Chinese economy) and will soon bring us to the brink of depression. We are already in a recession despite what the propagandists in the media are saying, and it will continue to get worse as "real income" shrinks in the face of inflation not seen since the years after WWII.

Vada Bloom and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My dad would say that you get what you pay for, so I have to assume that the quality of our food has skyrocketed under the Biden Administration.

Lambert Regenlöf and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Mary was that cut the extra that they were giving during the pandemic or is assistance less now than before the pandemic? It seems the states are different in what they have done.

Of course, I know nothing about Canada’s assistance.

I don’t like meat as much as I used to but I like using beans in the ways you’ve mentioned here, Yvonne. It does save money and I just like them more now. I eat more peanut butter too, especially with apples.

I do have meat a couple of times a week, mostly chicken, but I bought a small roast on sale at the store this morning, first one in months. I will cook it as a pot roast w/vegetables and have a couple of meals, then divide the leftover meat and freeze it for sandwiches, etc. It will make quite a few meals.

I have cut back on some things besides groceries too. I just have a bad feeling about what lies ahead economically for the US.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:(:mad:

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I just got through looking at grocery receipts almost stroked out.. the taxes I had not paid attention to I guess
    Two taxes in Kansas on food and non food items..9 percent and 6.60 percent! $290 grocery bill almost $20.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Of all taxes, sales taxes are my favorite, but, in my opinion, they shouldn't be charged on anything that is covered by SNAP or WIC. Food in those categories should be tax-free and are in some states. The reason I prefer sales taxes over other taxes is that you don't have to pay them. Income taxes are deducted from your paycheck if you are a W-4 employee, and property taxes are assessed for just owning something, even if you do no improvements. Don't get me wrong; I don't really like taxes of any kind, but governments need some source of income to provide basic services. Taxes shoulldn't be high enough to allow those in government to cause mischief however.;)

Mary Stetler and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I tried some cod livers ala dr berg. Not just the oil but the actual livers. First I thought:p but they are quite good. I got a case of tins from amazon a while back for storage. They are pricey but nutritionally packed.

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know exactly. I just know they lowered the income limit so my mentally challenged daughter lost her food allowance recently. If I give her anything, that is considered income and we would both be in trouble.
    You use roasts the way I do.;)

13. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just wish that we could make people who are able go back to work and give those who are not able a little more so things are not so tight for them when food prices are rising. :(

14. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

IMG_2658.jpeg We just came back from Costco, picking up some odds and ends, supplements, k-cups for now until after we move, a couple prepared meals, some fruit, nuts, candy, cheese, etc. Does that look like $426+ worth of stuff to you? This is at Costco too, probably would have been closer to $500 if we got the stuff at a regular store. Things have gotten absurd.

15. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do love Costco for certain things but yes you're right about the absurdity.