The Dreaded N Word

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

OK this will be long.

Had breakfast with my daughter on Saturday.

She is a leftie nutter(But I still love her)

Mentioned this word and the topic and she said what's wrong with that.

Difference in English words between America and us.

A story(Guess the word)

About 4 years ago was playing Poker in Vegas a nice 20 odd year old American told me this.

On a exchange to a collage in London he went with 3 English class mates to a Pub.

One of his English mates said to him....That good looking girl at the bar Likes you you should go and introduce yourself.

He went up to her did so telling him his name and she then hit him in the face tried to hit his +++++++(Guess the word yet)

He staggered back to his table where all his English mates were pissing them selves.

This word has a different meaning in England.

The word is...……..

RANDY

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

The discussion of the 'n' word starts a few minutes in. Watch the whole video. Trevor Noah is funny and makes sense about a lot of things. His analogy between cancel culture and prison reform is smart.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our friend, that my wife has known his wife for 60 years, hasn't got a single problem using the "n" word, when talking to me. There are times that I have to plainly ignore him saying it and just continue on with the conversation. But, he will tell anyone that the blacks of Detroit destroyed his city (Detroit). He has also told me that he has black friends that he uses the "n" word around and they aren't bothered by him saying it.

As for us, we would never/ever use the "n" word! Neither of us like the word.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The most amazing reference to black people was often used by George Wallace: He covered for his ignorance cleverly, by pronouncing "Negroes" pointedly as "Nigg-ras"........

Frank

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

There are certain words that I can't tolerate and if a person uses them in my company - I'm gone

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

None of my business what word they use. Me<I know the word is offensive to black folks, I don't use it and speak up when I hear it used. Same as kike, spic, redskin, chief, pollack,wop,cracker, peckerwood or any other racial or national pejorative
    Kinda like I can kick my dog,but you better not.

Bobby Cole and Von Jones like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

But that was common in the old south, Frank. More of a southern drawl thing than deliberate slur in most cases. (Unlike LBJ, who used the N word with no apologies.)

8. Dwight Ward

Registered

It goes beyond that. Southerners saying 'nigras' were actually being as polite and tolerant as as they.could be. 'Black' and 'African-American' were unheard of in everyday language at the time.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but, when living in Jacksonville, FL, we knew this very, very nice black dude who worked at Waffle House as a Greeter. He kept the seating area in the front of the restaurant extremely clean and was an outstanding Greeter.

One time I asked him "Which word do you prefer, Black or African-American?" He told wife and I, "well, since I've never been to Africa, I'm just a plain Black person" and laughed.

Actually, we always called him Lyon, his name.

Frank Sanoica and Dwight Ward like this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Never would have occurred to me to ask what he preferred? He would just be Lyon.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

We always said colored people. I have never known a black person. I have known people of all shades of brown but no black people. I believe that saying a person of color is politically correct nowadays. Is that different from saying colored people?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Excellent point. One is PC, the other a racist insult, but they use the same words. I'm not really white, either. Kinda pinkish.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Hal

Is funny you touch this subject since in my other country never was a problem with the N work unless it was used with a pejorative tone of voice.
    In fact, a person can be as white as milk and his / her nickname could be "Negro/a"

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Silvia, is there any other way to use that word? I really don't care what country could use it, it's still a very, very nasty word. Although, I've heard black comedians use it on stage. Blacks can use it toward each other, but a white person sure can't.

15. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

boat4.JPG Some of my best friends I see almost weekly all in Airline security over 20 years, 1 over 30 years, I admit it took over a year for all of us to feel TOTALLY relaxed around each other but we darn sure did it when they told me I would never get as good of a tan as them I knew we had done it, now almost 10 years later still friends with all. We hold nothing back talking with each other.

Frank Sanoica likes this.