The Electric Fence

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As kids, just about everyone who has been around a farm or a ranch has played with the electric wire surrounding a pasture.
    I mean as young vigorous lads, (and maybe lassies) we all did it. Who could resist it? On grandpa’s farm, we even had a cow that loved to rub herself on it so what harm can that one little wire do?
    We touched it, grabbed it, tried to sneak under or over it, and some with a lot of encouragement from other kids (more of a dare) even pee’d on the thing. Of course, regarding the latter, that dare was always pulled on new kids coming to the area and even though all of us played with the fence more than a few times, it is doubtful that anyone pee’d on the fence after doing it once.

Here’s a few kids having a little fun.......

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I put one around my garden:

garden.jpg

I had to laugh at the number of times I shocked myself while testing it.
    [​IMG]

When you install these, you test every row of wire to make certain the connections are good between the rows of wire and from the main unit to the ground rods. So you hook this unit over each row of wire one by one and stick the probe in the ground and test it. When the juice pulses through the unit and to the ground, the lights indicate how strong the connections are.

The problem is that the cord is not long enough to reach from the top rows to the ground on such a high fence. Stupid me I would hook the unit to one of the top rows, then try to reach the ground with the probe. When the probe reached the end of the wire and jerked out of my hands, I would instinctively grab it. But since the unit was hung on the electrified wire, and I was standing on the ground, whenever I grabbed the probe I would get shocked. More than once. I could have just stuck the probe in the ground and then touched the hook to the wire while holding the tester. (Dumb city boy.)

I was never fast enough to see how many lights lit up when I did this. Or maybe I closed my eyes when I screamed. It would be nice to know how conductive I am ;)

Signed,

Sparky

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha. I remember my sister getting caught up in the electric fence on her bicycle. Hilarity ensued and a traditional family anecdote was born.

6. John Brunner

He takes his shoe off!!! LOL!!!!

If you've ever been around one of these, you understand the delayed reaction with those kids. The unit charges up a capacitor and then the field collapses, generating a high voltage (but low non-fatal amperage) that pulses through the wire an impressively long distance. So the juice is not a constant...it pulses as it goes through the Charge/Discharge cycle. This cycle takes roughly one full second, which is not all that rapid. So the last guy apparently grabbed her hand in mid-cycle, then ZAP!!!! You can see the brief moment they let their guard down.

Classic.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This video demonstrates that pulsing action that you wrote about. It’s pretty cool and laugh worthy except for the stupid kid who put his tongue on the wire. I was crazy and still am but not THAT crazy.

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

I wonder if that kid fell on the ground from the pain or from the shock to his daggone brain (such as it is.)

I read (and @Don Alaska and I have talked about it, I believe) that one way to "train" the local critters is to put some peanut butter on a piece of aluminum foil, and then wrap it around one of the conductors. I've not used the Video mode of my game cams yet, but that would certainly require doing so.

Joe Riley, Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

First year i went to summer camp, one of my cabinmates who had been there before took a couple of us down the road to a cow pasture with an electric fence.

"Touch it with your tongue," she said. "It'll be fun!" she said. Beelzebimbo in a camp shirt she was.

I'm pretty sure I lost at least 10 IQ points from that experience.

11. John Brunner

@Mary Robi

Beelzebimbo???????

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.