The Great Commission

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Matthew 28:16-20
    New International Version

The Great Commission

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

It always puzzles me why atheists are drawn to the Faith & Religion section. When Christians witness to someone, they are carrying out Christ's commission. What is the atheist's commission? ......and who issued it?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Keep Going!
    Some years back, I read two books, one by Mother Teresa, and the other by John Paul II. The titles do not come readily to mind, but Pope John Paul, was writing about Christ's Great Commission. He said "Keep going!.....DON'T STOP"! It made me think of a green light that never turns red! Don't stop...keep going into all the World! Don' t stop!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"The Great Commission is the foundation for evangelism and cross-cultural missions work in Christian theology".

[​IMG]

"Because the Lord gave final instructions for his followers to go to all nations and that he would be with them even until the very end of the age, Christians of all generations have embraced this command. As many have said, it was not "The Great Suggestion." No, the Lord commanded his followers from every generation to put our faith into action and to go make disciples".(Read More)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Power to Obey the Great Commission

"We reference these verses frequently as we try to encourage believers to follow this command and live as obedient disciple makers. We highlight gospel needs around the world, we pray for missionaries and their work in our weekly gatherings and we remind those in our church that we each have a role to play in fulfilling this commission Jesus has given us".

"But as important as it is to understand what Jesus calls us to, knowing how we are able to obey this calling is perhaps the most important part of the Great Commission. Before and after the text quoted above, Jesus gives us two important truths, truths without which we would have no hope of accomplishing the task he has given us". (Read More)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It explains much but I don't think atheists receive any commission.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Pope ends resignation rumors (link)

"Pope John Paul II and his desire to not retire, but keep going to the end. The Pope intends to remain in office until the day he dies, according to a leading Italian newspaper. In the article he sums up what he believes can be "deduced" about the Pope's thinking".

"The force to continue is not my problem but that of Christ who wanted to call me, though unworthy, to be his vicar on Earth.

"In his mysterious design, He has brought me here. And it will be He who decides my fate."

"On Sunday, he used his weekly address to thank the faithful for helping to keep him going".
    [​IMG]
    John Paul II: The strain has become obvious

"My ministry is supported by the incessant prayer of the people of God," he said.
    "In the moments of great difficulty and suffering, this spiritual force is a real help."

"The Pope has hidden nothing of his current illness. He has not been ashamed to show himself as weak, fatigued. "He feels divine will guiding him, and for that reason will never quit."

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Just to add: The present tense in Greek, is used in the "Keep Going" in the Great Commission verses.

Present Tense
    "In English, we know that the present tense describes something happening right now. It informs us of the time when an action takes place".

"In Greek, however, the present tense primarily tells us the type of action. The Greek present tense indicates continued action, something that happens continually or repeatedly, or something that is in the process of happening. If you say, for instance, “The sun is rising,” you are talking about a process happening over a period of time, not an instantaneous event. The Greeks use the present tense to express this kind of continued action".

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Pentecost Hymn Lord You Give the Great Commission

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered