The Housing Prices In Some Areas - House Hunters, Hgtv

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Kitty Carmel, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I just watched an episode of House Hunters. Single mom bought a house in Oakland, California with a 800,000 budget. Ended up in a biding war going over 9. One house under 8, the agent stated "will go for higher." The buyer even stated her family states she is crazy as she can buy 10 houses in the South East for that money.

I know these areas can pay a lot but not everyone makes this kind of money. I don't know how people do it. And how these places got so expensive. Washington State used to be cheap. I watched another House Hunters episode, buyers spent over 800,000. I wonder if these younger people will still want these places when they are older? Wonder what the housing prices will be in 20-30 years? It's a mess.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, CA real estate is crazy...Fresno is reasonable but it's still higher than other places not in CA. My crappy little house would cost max $150,000 and here it's $300,000...probably more now that prices are going back up. Before the real estate crashed these homes were selling for $450,000!

Did you ever see some of the dumps that sell for $500,000 on the coast? Anywhere else it would be an $85,000 home.

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Yes and it's made me think of the many places a person can live. But how to find those places? Plus I'm kind of trapped where I am because of my step father. I'd at least look if I could.

Sometimes people move due to family. I had a couple of co-workers who moved. One to Wyoming and one to Oklahoma due to having family already there.

My home town is Santa Cruz, Ca. Nothing but bad memories and some act like it's the grail of all things good. Prices are so insane there but people seem to buy. They can have it. I do miss the ocean. Haven't seen it in years.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My daughter's in Monterey county and I see the ocean a lot. I also read her local areas news and lately there's been a lot of trouble in Santa Cruz...well really everywhere in CA...mostly gang related though.

I check out Kion news every day, plus my local news before I read the national news.

This was in today's news...

http://www.kion546.com/news/shooting-at-santa-cruz-flea-market/537663582

My oldest grandson goes to Santa Cruz a lot to surf.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think many of the house prices are ridiculous too on HGTV and wonder myself how the people can afford them. But I also wonder how anybody in their right mind would buy some of the "rat traps" that they are selling for that much.

I have seen some homes in areas like Georgia that are reasonably priced on those shows but way to many that aren't.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I wonder if that's the flea market that I used to go to in the drive through. If the drive through is still in operation. I'd assume that prime land would now be some sort of housing. I do believe crime is probably increased there. In a lot of areas but Santa Cruz can draw some interesting element of people. There are certainly homeless where I live. More than there used to be but Santa Cruz had plenty already in 85 when I last lived there.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, homeless and gangs are everywhere now...even the best cities.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We paid $14,500 for our house, which was a 3-unit apartment building when we bought it. A friend bought a 2-story house with a full basement on tax sale for $600 not long ago. Another very nice house sold for $20,000 not long ago. But sometimes people who don't know any better pay more than $100,000 for a place that would otherwise sell for less than half that. I guess if someone is willing to leave it on the market long enough they might get a good price. But it's expensive to maintain a house here if it is empty. Winters are hard on empty houses in Maine.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Ken Anderson I know housing can be so much more affordable in some areas. As I've mentioned before, I'd consider at least looking at other places but with my step dad here I'm unable and I do resent it. Not that moving and even just looking would be expensive if you have no prior knowledge of an area. You would have to go there and check the place out and of coarse they could be many issues and variables about a place you can't find out about just looking.

Too complicated. Wish things were simpler.

10. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Canada has 3 top hot housing markets, Vancouver, British Columbia, Toronto, Ontario and the 3rd is Windsor, Ontario of which I live on the outskirts of.

It is nuts here.....people from the two hotter markets are discovering our lower prices and like what they see. They sell high, come here and can live mortgage free and live nice and have all the benefits of being a mile away from Detroit, Michigan and all it's amenities they have come to expect from living in the big city.

Even my little mobile home community has homes listed and sold the same day. They want these places for summer living and they pick up a second home in Florida and still have tons of cash left over.