The Last Time You Rode A Bicycle

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I took mine out for the second time this year. I brought it up from the basement in the spring for the first ride after which it sat idle because of the hot and humid summer. I put it back down in the basement a week ago in anticipation of winter only for it to get unseasonably warm so up it came again.

Now I’m sore. I’m not used to riding as when young and just swinging a leg over ain’t like it used to be. Any aches I had only got magnified and new ones materialized.

Oh for the good old days. I would trail ride in the woods or go on a 14 mile round trip down a country road to a dirt road that parallels a creek. Good workout.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a regular bicycle anymore; we donated mine a few years ago. I was on my stationary bike this morning, watching a movie and pedaling along.

Ed Wilson, John West and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Veteran Member
    Registered

My first bike was too large for me to reach the pedal at its furthest throw. I had to get on & off at the side of a hill or some other object to lean against.

As an adult, I used to commute to work on my bike...12 miles each way in Northern Virginia traffic. I would also ride on the weekends with a local group and take 3 day out-of-town trips to ride in rural areas. Man, I was in good shape.

I still have it. It's a collectable Motobecane touring bike, and my back issues stopped me from dragging it out again. It's been 25 years since I've ridden it.

Ed Wilson and John West like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

About ten years. I've tried to ride several times since but am just too short winded.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a bike ten years ago but it's hard to ride a bike here in this part of Maine, as there are a lot of hills and drivers have little but contempt for adults on a bicycle. For things like going to the store and back, I'd like to be able to use a bike but there is a large hill that I would have to pedal up, and that gets tiresome, although coasting down it on the way home almost makes up for it since the store is on top of the hill.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

About 46 years ago.

When I first moved where I live now I had illusions of riding a bike to work during good weather. Three miles gradual uphill going. You were a mess by the time you got there in the summer. The streets were too narrow and crowded for the cars to pass. Fun coasting home though. It lasted about 2 weeks.

7. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Well-Known Member
    Registered

I last rode a bicycle in 1972 just before I went to England as an au pair. Once I was there I drove, was driven or used public transport.

Haven’t been able to ride a bike since 1974 for obvious reasons. Strange as it may seem people have actually asked me if I can ride a bike.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  8. John West

John West Active Member
    Registered

My back does not like me riding a bike. It does, however, like me riding a motorcycle. As strange as it is, a good ride on the motorcycle or in the old Miata makes my back happier than it was previously. Both have less-than-cushy suspensions.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We just put our bikes up for sale yesterday after leaving them on consignment at a bike store for 2 wks.
    Last I attemped to ride was a couple years ago and I did a fast hard fall while balancingon acorns. These dirt roads and woody trails are no longer places I can safly ride. Hubby didn't ride his much either.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  10. James Hintze

James Hintze Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wife and I travel considerably around the country. We just sold our motor home a month ago, and now we have a trip planned (with our 10 year old F150) up the east coast and a loop into Alabama. Of course we take the bikes. We had a bike rack for the rear of the motor home. About motorized two wheelers. when I lived in Austria (as a student) I drove from Austria (Graz) to Hamburg on a 10 year old scooter.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our old van is set up nicely for us but we don't need all the bells and whistles. We also take our tent so aren't stuck in the van all the time.
    Our kids don't like our tents,said last time we set it up it looked like a flying saucer landed in their back yard for a month,lol.
    We did graduate to a Coleman camp Bed In A Bag with frame to keep us off the ground though.We are too old to sleep on the air matresses on the ground now,bed with frame is very good to have.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ed Wilson

My second two-wheeler was a 3-speed Schwinn, 26-inch for which I wheedled and cajoled my folks for a speedometer, which I installed. I was maybe 9 or so when I got it, and over the following years I "turned over" that odometer at 999 miles! The bike took me everywhere; helmets were things of the future then, never saw one. Never got hurt, either!

Frank

Marie Mallery and Ed Wilson like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I could have made $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos last time I rode a bike about two years ago.
    My hubby's house is in the hills and I went to a neighbor's rummage sale. They had a mountain bike (which I wanted) for $5 !
    Think about it. All our driveways are about 37 degrees, road about 25.
    I climbed aboard to get home. As I got to my driveway, I was going pretty fast so applied the brakes again and found out why it was a $5 bike.
    Came zooming down the drive and made a left onto my front walk which turns into the front porch but decided to go onto the grass to slow things down. It is a mountain bike, meant for off road driving, right? Not so much for wet lawn driving. Came to an abrupt halt.
    Not hurt, a little embarrassed. Bikes sure can go fast!