The Mile High City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Denver, CO has always been known as The Mile High City, due to its elevation, but now, I think, that saying goes with/for more like how many people are high from marijuana there.

Yesterday, Denver's young people celebrated "4/20" event about legalized recreational marijuana. The organizers even got permission from City Hall and Denver P.D. for the young people to smoke marijuana in the park yesterday. And, there was plenty of that going on, as well as music. The event, "4/20", started in 2013, when we were living in Florida, so we knew nothing about it.

Denver is the largest city in America with legal recreational marijuana. At least, that's what I read.

Boy has parts of Colorado really changed since we left in Oct 2007! Been back here for 2 1/2 years and things seem to be getting worse by the month/year.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just put part of this thread on my Facebook page to see what my 1968 high school graduation class thinks.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hummmmm, no comments so far???

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Cody, put me firmly in the undecided line about marijuana. I have never even seen any marijuana much less tried it. I do know a few people who have smoked it and they say it's no more that drinking beer. Drinking beer and other alcoholic beverages is legal so why not marijuana?

I drink bourbon in moderation so why should other people not have their choices?

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Because, from my past EMT experience, both can become deadly when driving or whatever. Would you like to be behind someone who is high on marijuana or drunk from drinking? Seen both happen, that turned into accidents and one had a death involved.

We drink beer (Bud Light and Michelob Ultra). But, at home, we share a bottle. When out for dinner, we will order a medium glass each of beer, and later, one medium glass and share it. When we go out for Mexican food, one margarita each and not the big one.

One thing I've learned at my age, 73, Shirley, everyone has an excuse for drinking, even us, or smoking pot (makes them feel good).

Perhaps a joint, now and then, may not be too bad, but most young folks don't stop at that. They end up hitting a Bong and really, really getting high. I know, back in the mid 70, my ex-wife's brother made Bongs out of Sparkletts Water Bottles (office cooler size) and I tried one back then. Never/ever again with smoking pot...........never!

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

How did it make you feel, Cody? Any more high than drinking a few beers? I know you only drink a little but have you ever had more than a few. Compare the effects of the beer and the marijuana.
    The problem is not the substance but how much of it you drink/inhale. Too much of either one should be avoided.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've never been to Denver.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, Ken, what's that suppose to mean:D?

Don't know if you ever got a EMS call for a traffic accident, that was considered done because of being high or drunk, but I sure did. A number of Colorado's young generation love smoking pot and it showed it at this celebration.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Shirley, when I did it, it was in the mid 70's, almost too long ago to even remember. But, back then, a "nickel bag" ($5.00) or "dime bag" ($10.00) was nearly as powerful as today's marijuana is. No nearly.

Want to know what "to much pot is"? When someone is smoking it from a bong. Apparently the water in the bong really enhances the "highness" of the marijuana.

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Cody, a number of OUR generation "loved smoking pot" as young people, in fact you might say we started it all. Why don't you learn to control the things that are within your control and let the rest go? People will abuse drugs and alcohol whether the substances are legal or not. If you don't care to participate, that's the only decision that is yours to make.

Personally, I believe that pot should be legal nationwide, but that's just me. I have never smoked or used any drugs, but I know plenty of people our age who use pot in some form or another.

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, let's see, Beth, there are those in this forum, that complain about: Biden, our government and other things. You could tell them the same thing, "why don't you learn to control the things that are within your control and let the rest go?". IOW, none of us can do anything about Biden or our government, let alone how divided our Nation still is with masking, Covid 19 vaccines and all of the crime that seems to happen on a daily basis.

However, my wife had her son smoke pot at times for his pain with cancer. We use a form of marijuana, as in CBD for pain and sleep. But, todays use goes much, much further than that. Like, when a person is pulled over by an officer, and pot paraphernalia is found in the vehicle, roach clips, pipes or whatever are laid out on the hood and put into a plastic bag for evidence as well as photographed. There are those that have their vehicle windows tinted heavily, so nobody can see them smoking pot while driving or sitting.

Like I told Shirley, would you like to be driving behind someone smoking a joint or being high? Or, even worse, driving in front of them and they possible rear-end you?

There is a rather large hotel in Denver that will allow pot smoking in their hotel. They have already gotten permission to do this.

And, last, but not least, isn't "complaining" the right of all Seniors?? Just look at a number of threads or posts on this forum!

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Just that I've never been to Denver.

That says something about our government, doesn't it?

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I had coworkers in a branch office in Denver back in the early 90s. They were pretty indiscreet about their use of wacky weed. We always joked about "The Mile High City." This is not a new thing. It's always been prevalent there, likely since we were all kids (or even before that.)

This issue has hit Virginia now that you can legally grow for personal use (there's a limit on the number of plants), and be in possession of up to an ounce. Eddie (the greenhouse owner) tells me that in the past he could tell who was coming in to buy supplies to [illegally] grow weed. Now that it's been made legal, he cannot keep the soil and amendments in stock...it flies out the door. And pretenses are no longer required.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I just don't know. I never smoked that much in the first place, but did hit a Bong once. "That much" meaning, not nearly like some people did back in the mid 70's and definitely not like today.

But, what is true, is so much of the older generation that complains about drug use today, but forget how much drug use was done, but early Baby Boomers in the Woodstock Era, and, from what I have researched, in Vietnam.

I remember, in about 1974, myself and a Sailor friend, stopped by Long Beach Naval Station to see some fellow Sailors who had just come back from a Westpac Cruise. We were able to board the ship, with other friends/family of Sailors. Him and I were walking along the starboard deck and came under an air outlet from somewhere inside the ship. Without a doubt, I could smell marijuana coming out of the air outlet. I looked at my friend, sort of shocked, both of us laughed and continued down the deck. BTW, this was the last ship I served on before getting my Honorable Discharge.

But, I still don't know. Pretty much have to leave it at that. And, even though I can't do anything about certain things, I'm not an "open-minded" person on some things. Neither is my wife. "Live and let live" just isn't part of our language, but..........

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff