The Perils Of Being A Widow

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Faye Fox, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I must have had the hungries something serious to get my old ass out in the gentle rain and walk half a mile over to the grocery store for potato breaded haddock filets for lunch. I got my dinner while there, a Marie Calendars turkey breast, mashed potatoes, and green beans meal, all in one frozen triple-divided tray. Also for dessert a Marie Calendars chocolate pie.

Waiting in line I had the urge to adjust my bra, since it was out of adjustment, from reaching up to get what appeared to be the last frozen chocolate pie, so I adjusted it with a bit of fidgeting. As I took my awaited spot across from the cashier that knew me, she whispered. "Do you realize you are on camera and that guy was watching you?" I then noticed an old guy behind me pushing up a chocolate pie identical to mine.

He struck up a conversation that I recognized, one of a lonely old guy. He had been divorced for 17 years ya de ya de ya de, and he was a good cook but it wasn't worth it for just one person. He saw I liked the same pie he did and was glad I left him one. He had seen me standing on the bottom shelf, reaching in for it but was at the end of the aisle so he couldn't help as he would have liked since he was tall. He also commented that it looked like I was eating alone as he was.

At that point, the clerk, noticing me trying to ignore this guy, now uncomfortably close to me, commented she liked my new hairstyle. I responded to her that it was shorter than I had hoped, but thanks for the compliment. This guy commended, uninvited, that he didn't like short hair on women.

I pretended my lips were super glued, but I failed and commented that I could care less what he liked. He commented that I wasn't a very nice or friendly person.

I was checked out and hastened out with a long quick stride. I took the long way that was by the side of the store where bums like to hang and beg, just in case he would attempt to tail me.

He didn't, but one bum was standing smoking a cigarette and asked me for a few bucks to get something to eat. I said if he could afford to smoke, he could afford food. He commented that I wasn't a very nice person. I kept on walking.

Maybe time to dig out my old wedding ring and resize it so I can get it over my arthritic knuckles. A fraud maybe, but it might help me be a nicer person.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I can verify that it doesn't work for me; I'm still a crabby-pants, ring or no ring. :D

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No hope for me then I guess! Sigh! :(

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I couldn't even get my wedding ring back on. I guess I'm doomed.

5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had to run out for a few things and stopped off at Mission BBQ. My wife has bad seafood allergies, so I never have it at home. This place actually has the best salmon fillets of just about anywhere I’ve been, and at a much more reasonable price. So, I always end up getting that, spiced collard greens and cornbread. Yum. Good people at Mission BBQ, the theme is military, police, first responders, etc.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. We have at least one sort of up the road from me (maybe a 40 minute drive.)

Thomas Windom likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My "quick shopping trips" sometimes turn into an hour or longer because I'll BS with anyone who'll listen to me. Happened just the other day...ended up talking to a woman who emigrated here from Italy a few years ago and is Stage 4 cancer (I don't know what type.) She was a nurse. I don't think she has anyone here in the states...we must have talked for an hour. Stuff like that is not unusual for me.

Regarding putting back on a wedding ring...I still have mine from my married days, and actually thought that putting it on would be more of an attractant than a repellent, they way some people are these days.

8. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

At least you didn't have to row a boat to get there and back :D

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

So is it flooding down in Texas? Maybe time to hear Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am not living in Texas but 350 miles away but the weather pattern is the same and if they get it we're next and tonight is no exception.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There's also the perils of being around some widows, especially when you're in a nice sports car in a store parking lot and they want to jump in with you. It has happened twice recently. The first time I was quite tongue-tied, said something like "Sorry, I have to run" and drove off. The second time, I could tell the lady was lonely so I spent a few minutes trying to make her feel good and then excused myself. I can't honestly say I disliked these encounters, though.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I never notice sports cars and certainly wouldn't take a ride with a stranger, but I am sure some gals would. These gals trying to get in with you probably weren't widows. They were probably running from their husbands. :D I might flirt with a handsome older guy with a hot rod he built, especially an old pickup, but would only flirt to see what was under the hood and wouldn't care to get in. I love old hot rod shows where the hoods are up and no flirting is necessary. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Today's walk to the grocery store to get brownie mix was cold but dry. Nothing happened other than a nice middle-aged man offered for me to get in front of him in line. I thanked him and said I wasn't in a rush and he was probably on his lunch hour. He said he was but not in a rush because he owned his own construction company and was getting the giant sub from the deli and other goodies for his crew that was all war veterans and were ahead of schedule and waiting for supplies arriving in the afternoon. Walking home I thought what a shame that there are older folks that might have been afraid of this kind, hard-working, middle-aged man because of his beard and two neck tattoos. I recognized the tattoos as being similar to an Iraq combat vet I know, that was in the stryker division.

My brownie cream cheese brownies look amazing and smell divine. They rose nicely and the cream cheese marbling really makes them look like I knew what I was doing and some kind of skilled baker. I was just following instructions, that is except for the big red letter warning --- Do not eat the raw batter.

14. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was told by a good (business-related female) friend that I was inclined to not know/notice/understand when someone was flirting with me. She was quite right since I don't give the possibility of flirting any thought. That said, I do enjoy talking to people and probably focus on such.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

When a gal that doesn't know you, wants to get in your sports car, she is either flirting, has dementia, or is a hooker. :D

Mary Stetler likes this.