The Power Of Our Words Is Amazing

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Basically, the rice experiment involves making a pot of rice, then putting an equal amount in three sterilized jars. Then , you label the jars, Love, Hate, and Ignore.
    For the next few weeks, you say warm loving things to the love jar, and degrading and hurtful things to the hate jar, and the ignore jar gets.....well, ignored.
    At the end of the time period, they show you the three jars, and the difference is incredible !

I didn’t watch through the whole video, but I watched as far as where they show you the three jars afterwards, and it really makes a person think about the effect that just our words can have.

Most of us have seen the plant experiments, where someone talked with one plant each day, or played soothing music, and the other plant was insulted, or had to listen to really bad rock music, and the difference in the plants was amazing.
    But you would not expect the same kind of effect on something as mundane as a bowl of steamed rice.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know about steamed rice. I probably wouldn't know what to say but i did used to talk to my plants. I'd sit beside them and whisper. Tell them I knew some in the family didn't think they were a living, breathing unity but I knew better. I'd say I knew we were kindred spirits and I'm going to give you fresh water and any thing you'd like rto eat, bath you in sunshine, and always tell you how pretty you look. Yes I used to talk to my plants, even though we spoke a different language.

Hedi Mitchell and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I tried that. It didn't work. Mine must have spoken a different language, ;)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometime its not the language at all. Gentleness and acts of kindness sometime say more than any language can convey.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I talk to Pickles all day long, the only time his ears perk up are when I say words that rhyme with "eat"

He reacts more to my actions than words though.

He watches me like a hawk and knows what to do when he sees me doing certain things....so clever and funny.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha - he's a blast ! :p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

To me all experiments are performed out of curiousity to see what will happen. Even though the rice has been separated who or what's to say that these different outcomes wouldn't be the same if in one jar. You would just have to poke around a bit.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know much about the rice test, but I hear so much negativity coming from so many mouths, and I'm talking adults. I grew up being told not to hate and not to use the word hate....so to this date I don't use that word and hardly use love. I use like a lot and where necessary use don't like, or detest but the two other words not so much....

I hear that a lot from people talking about foods too, they love this or that, they hate this or that.... I suppose it doesn't bother many as it's used so much.

There is so much power in the words we use and not just these two words.

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food." George Bernard Shaw

I say that and I really mean it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its a wonderful notion and one I go along with, words are just words but given sincere emotion, they can
    work wonders. I may try this on meself

@Yvonne Smith

11. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Words can do a job on your brain and tell your body things it's best not to deal with.