The Time To Buy An Ipad Is Now!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Every year in September, Apple has their big Apple Event extravaganza , where they showcase their new products innovations for the upcoming year.
    This year, the new iPad 7th generation is starting at only a little over $300, which is unheard of for a new iPad, and it is very lightweight, and also uses the Apple Pencil . Which is perfect for taking notes and drawing on the iPad .
    The older model iPads have been selling for around that same price, so I just did a quick check on the Best Buy website, and they are already drastically dropping the prices on the iPad 5 and iPad 6 , to get them below the cost of the new iPad 7.
    No one is going to pay more for a 2017 model when they can get a brand new 2020 iPad for the same price (or cheaper) !
    So, if you have been considering an iPad at all (@Bess Barber , are you listening ? ), now is the time to start shopping around for the price range you want to find your iPad in.
    The new models will be out by the end of September, but Apple is already taking pre-orders for them, so used (and new) older models will be hitting the sales with drastic price cuts for the next few weeks.

Bobby Cole and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Last weekend, the regular iPad was $249 at Best Buy, and it's still that price on Amazon.

BTW, Apple has a new iPad OS with the new product release so I expect a bunch of changes (and more $$).

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Stores may not know exactly what to expect from the new Apple releases, but they probably have a pretty good idea what might happen, and prices always go down before the new models come out, just like with new cars. Probably, they had already started to drop prices, just in anticipation of the new models, but with the iPad 7 being so very cheaply priced, they will really have to cut prices on the older models now.

Here is a quick video describing the new iPad 7th generation. Rather than the usual size of 9.7”, this iPad is a larger 10.2” size, plus has some of the features only found on an iPad Pro before now.
    With the low starting price, I think that this iPad will sell really well.
    People who might not want to spend close to $1,000 for an iPad, would definitely be more likely to consider the new $300+ one. Or buy. One for their kids as a Christmas or birthday present.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

But, I don't need an iPad. I think the iPad craze is lessoning. My wife has gone from doing pretty much everything on her iPad back to her computer again, and I know a few other people who are doing that, and Apple has backed off of their prior announcement that new MacBooks would be operated on iOS (which powers iPhones and iPads) rather than macOS, their regular computer operating system. There are some things that just can't be done satisfactorily on iOS, and a lot of other things are easier on a big screen.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My preference is a laptop, but I enjoy a tablet for some things, too. I'd definitely not pay $1000 for an iPad Pro.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I never thought I wanted an IPad until I saw all the stuff you can do with it from @Yvonne Smith 's posts. The music and the art....just wow.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

When you add a keyboard (from either Apple or Amazon) then you have a regular laptop type of device, but you can also detach it from the keyboard case and use it just as a touchscreen tablet.
    I mainly use mine with the keyboard for typing, but I also have a smaller one that I use for drawing, reading, or photo-editing.
    Also...... Apple has said that anyone who buys a new Apple device will also get a free year’s subscription to Apple TV+, which would be the Apple version of Netflix.
    In fact, I was just reading today, that since Apple announced the new Apple TV+, the stock market plummeted for Netflix, Disney, and especially for Roku.

8. Yvonne Smith

This is an older thread; but it applies to right now. In September, usually around the middle of the month, Apple has their big Apple Event program, where they announce all of the new products, and updates for the older products.
    I look forward to watching every fall, even though I am not going to buy anything. They demonstrate just how everything works; so watching it is a great learning experience for Apple devices that you already have.
    When the new devices come out, the older models will go on sale, so it is probably the best time to get a good deal on a used (or older model brand new) iPad or iPhone.
    Everyone should have at least one of both…… you can never have too many Apple devices.

9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

yeah yeah we know an apple a da keeps the doctor away

Joe Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Next Tuesday, September 14th, is the 2021 Apple Event for this fall, called appropriately, “California Streaming” . It starts around noon (depending on your time zone) but can be watched anytime on youtube.
    I always look forward to watching this and seeing what new ideas Apple has come up with !

11. Yvonne Smith

Today was the Apple Event for this fall, and I watched it to see what new products they have come out with. It looks like the new camera for the iPhone 13 is going to be even more sophisticated than the one in the iPhone 12 Pro, and can certainly replace a camera, it looks like.
    In some instances, it is way better than a camera because it is a lot less fragile if it falls, gets dropped in water, or anything like that which might affect a regular camera.