The Tiny House Movement

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ina I. Wonder, May 27, 2016.

1. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I couldn't. I like lots of space. Lived in a small house until 2012. I could live in a house smaller than my current home, but prefer the living area be
    larger than I had before.

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I probably could, but I don't want to. :D We have a motorhome that is fine for a week or two, but I wouldn't want it to be a permanent thing.

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I might, but I won't climb, so maybe not. They are intriguing tho'.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

There's lots of tiny houses where you don't have to sleep in the loft space Beth... :D

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We had to downsize to an apartment, its great going from room to room without stairs but ………..
    I'd like another wardrobe for me pretty dresses :cool:

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I spend a fair amount of time looking at tiny houses online and always visit that part of the fairgrounds when I attend the Common Ground Fair, here in Maine. Also known as the hippy fair, it's sponsored by the Maine Organic Farmers & Gardeners Association, and always has a tiny house section.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nope. Although I am fascinated by small houses, we simply couldn’t have one. When we had very little and lived in a trailer, we eventually outgrew it. From then on it’s been 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes and we outgrew each one. Presently, we live in a 3 bedroom home with a fairly large kitchen or at least, that’s what we started with.
    Now, there is not enough counter space nor cabinetry to hold everything we have so we turned one bedroom into a pantry complete with not only food stuffs but all the mixers, roasters, blenders etc that we have accumulated over the last few years.
    One of the other bedrooms has been turned into a gym and can’t hold all of the equipment we have bought so.....nope again, couldn’t do it.
    Even if we chose to put an addition to the house, I fear that within a year it too wouldn’t be large enough to accommodate all the new stuff we’d probably want to put in it.

I told my wife that if we ever move again, everything goes on the side of the road and I’m living in a tent which, I’d probably outgrow in a couple of days.

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Sounds like the old George Carlin routine about buying stuff, then needing a bigger house for all your stuff. Getting more stuff, and now needing an even bigger house to accommodate both the old and new stuff. :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Some are just too small, but some are quite spacious. I think it's all in the lay out and perhaps planning a nice adjoining outdoor space or a wrap around porch. However, much like trailer park models, they are REALLY expensive for the smaller amount of space.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Does it have a walk-in closet? :)

Beth Gallagher and Bess Barber like this.
  11. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I have seen a couple that actually did. It all depends on the size and how the floorplan is layed out. I generally only wear black, white and gray. I could get rid of most my stuff and no one would ever be able to tell.....including me.

Bobby Cole and Shirley Martin like this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Registered

I doubt if I could ever live in a Tiny House. I have 10 closets and they are all full. I get rid of some stuff once in a while but, Lo and behold, they fill up again.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I figure I can't take it with me when I die. :D I would rather give it to the kids now and just keep the stuff I really want and use. I hate clutter in drawers or closets. When it becomes a constant 'maintain', I would just rather get rid of the extras.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Registered

Well, you don't have to maintain it. You just shove it in there and forget it. :p:p:p:p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Interesting.
    When my son was about 2, he was given so many toys for Christmas that after playing with them on Christmas Day, I absconded with over half of them, hid them and re-wrapped them for his birthday.

Where is this going you say? If you have so much stuff that perchance you might not remember most of it, have someone come in, clean the place out and wrap it up for your next present receiving event.
    Just another solution to “stuff” management. 1st in, 1st out and back again.

Might not work in a tiny home, but it’s a thought.