The Word: Respect

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This is about those that show "respect" and those that don't and don't care to.

Anything from noisy neighbors (whether it be an apartment complex or housing development), what people do in traffic, in a store, in a doctors office or anywhere else.

And, what people will say.

So, have you run into those that show respect as well as those that don't?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course. It seems like respect is in short supply these days with all the entitled, angry people.

As for noise, apartments have never been known as quiet environments. A certain amount of noise is expected simply as a result of shared walls/ceilings and close quarters. The last time I lived in an apartment was 1986 and it was the same then. I always chose an upstairs unit because I didn't like listening to people walk around on my ceiling.

Road rage is out of control these days; I have never seen such anger or unsafe behavior. Of course I live in a major metro area where the freeways are crazy.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Surprisingly, the noise in the apartment building that my wife and her mother lived in was very, very low. It was a 2-story building and the upstairs neighbors were extremely quiet. I lived in this apartment, with my wife, for two years in So California. The apartments we've lived in since, not nearly as quiet. We've always had a first story apartment with either one or two apartments above us. Because of my hip replacement, we didn't want me to be climbing steps everyday. Unfortunately, we've had babies running across our ceiling and young kids jumping off and on couches. Their parent was at work.

Then, after buying a house, of which we "thought" we'd escape noisy neighbors, our next door neighbor left the dogs outside in backyard all night. She was told by her husband not to, but she did. He worked nights. IOW, bark, bark, bark.. Then we had two large woods owls that like to perch themselves, at each end, of the house behind us. Hoot, hoot, hoot in the middle of the night! I took care of this problem with a high intensity boat light, shined on one of them.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

How about those that simply won't respect a Handicap Space and park in it? No Handicap license plate or Placard!

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

More often than not, seniors like us simply forget to put the card up on the rear view when they find a parking spot. Such was the case when we got a ticket for parking in a handicap zone one day. We were using Yvonne’s daughter’s truck and were used to having a handicap license plate. We had the placard but simply forgot to put it up.
    They dropped the charges but it’s something neither of us will forget any time soon.
    In some cities, people get towed when they park without the placard or plate and in others the fines are pretty stiff so I’ve found that the incidents of people using those parking spaces illegally are very rare.

Now, the healthy people who park their butts in the handicap stall in the restroom is a totally different story.

Sheldon Scott and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As far as the respect thing goes, I have my own way of getting it. I give it.
    There are times though that someone has to be reminded of that formula. A car pulled up to a guy on the street in front of my house the other day and proceeded to have a conversation with the walking passerby. The guy sitting in the passenger’s side threw an empty can out of the window onto my yard and I quickly went over and told the guy to get out of the car and get his can. I didn’t make a HUGE scene but I did tell him that if he wanted to be respected by me then he had to give it too. He left shaking my hand and apologizing.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we lived in Colorado before, and I had a Handicap Placard, I could use it in any vehicle. Don't know how it is now, but will end up finding out when I apply for a Colorado one again.

However, in Florida, the DMV has a spot for the license plate tag number on the Placard and it can only be used in the vehicle that the number on the Placard matches the license plate tag number. The Placard has to be facing outward, with the tag number showing.

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

YES

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

The handicapped placard can be used in another car AS LONG AS the placard owner is along.

I pick up my mother in my car, she brings along her placard and when we get to the store, I park in a handicapped spot, hang the placard, put her in her wheelchair or get her walker out and we proceed into the store.

When I take her home, she takes her placard with her to be used in any other car she is riding in. She has had to give up driving for a while and we daughters or her friends often give her rides to the store, church or doctor appointments.

Perfectly legal. ……..unlike a relative who used her deceased father's placard until it expired, on the grounds "that it would be in use if he was still alive."

10. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There are lots of Inconsiderate people out there in La La Land and it's so nice when I meet or experience someone who is considerate.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, the nerve of little kids to behave like children. :rolleyes: And those OWLS... outrageous.

12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh Honestly, I'm glad I'm the age I am. If I was 20, I would be depressed thinking I still had to live so many years in the middle of this disrespectful mess. I live in a neighborhood where 1/3 of the neighbors seem to not be cognitive of the fact OTHER people live around them. They don't care how loud they are, that their dogs are annoying or how much of their trash blows into other people's yard.

13. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Respect???? What is that? I guess no one knows the definition of the word in this day and age.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No problem with them "behaving like children", but just do it when wife and I aren't home! LOL
    As far as the owls go, if I would have just had a BB gun with a good laser beam sight. No more owl problems.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We spend a few days to a week in Arlington every year at this time, and this year was quite a bit different than any other year. Pedestrians cross the street wherever they want to, whenever they want to, heads down, engrossed in their cellphones, leaving every bit of the responsibility for their lives to the drivers who they step in front of. There has always been some of that, as there will be in any highly populated area, but this year it seemed that everyone was like that. Personally, I think any pedestrian not in a pedestrian crossing ought to be fair game, and their estate should be responsible for repairing any dents on the car and washing the blood off later. It's been a while since I have encountered as many people honking horns as there was in Arlington this year, either. Safeway has gotten to be like Walmart, and both customers and employees couldn't care less about anything other than themselves. Giant wasn't any better, so I don't think it's just a Safeway problem.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.