Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The little chicken can stand better on her right leg now after almost two weeks, I think it's been now. Walks with a slighter limp, than before, when she couldn't put any weight on it at all. We've been really busy, still trying to get things done like always. Hope everyone is doing well and happy. :)

The photo was just taken of Molly the 16 yr old dog, and the hurt chicken in a brooder pen until she's well.

DSCN1865.JPG

And I just took this photo of Leo two years old.

2022-10-15.JPG

Leo, Molly, and Foxy are coming along nicely, we take them around the trail every day in their harnesses and 25 ft leashes, and they love it. They always try to make me put their harness back on every time, and to me, it proves just how much they love it. They haven't chewed anything up in over two months are more, so happy about that. Yesterday while on a trail walk hunting dogs were chasing deer and Leo went off on them barking and scratching the dirt like he wanted them to know this is his trail.:D We saw the deer and dogs that were chasing them, dogs looked like Dalmations white with black spots.

DSCN1800.JPG

DSCN1707.JPG

DSCN1753.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  2. Jake Smith

Registered

Still not slowing down around here, but feel things are getting done. Glad the site is back up and was wondering where it went. Hope everyone is doing well, we are ok so far. Glad to have heat and air now, especially since the crazy weather keeps going from cold to hot. :rolleyes:

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Jake has been working on the boat today, long overdue cleaning. I bathed the other 2 dogs which could have been a big mistake since I thought I was having heart attack, tightened up chest and couldn't breathe. I realized I can't stand on my head leaning over for long periods pulling on large dogs.
    I bathed Molly our old dog yesterday, she is larger but easier to handle than Foxy and Leo.

4. Jake Smith

Registered

Yeah, I did, you need to watch it doing too much at once. Happens to me sometimes, mostly when I do a lot of heavy lifting takes my breath away, and I feel like I'm doing the Fred Sanford, " Im coming", to you," Elizabeth". lol, but all kidding aside we have to be more careful about what we do now.

I got all the leaves out of the boat and ran it for an hour. The throttle cable is bad, so I have to order one of them. Other than that it's ready for the river. :D So many things need to be done before summer,, I planted some bell peppers today with all the other stuff, we had transplanted from pots. Put some more pot ash over it and wet it all in well. Have to go Monday to a dental clinic for an upper jaw tooth that broke off from eating an almond. :( Glad we went yesterday and got bp meds, I will need them for that trip. :eek:

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Made it to Lowes today, and got everything else that I need to finish the screen porch; I also remember I posted that I wouldn't mention the porch again until it was done, but It's a little closer to being done now, and I have everything to finish it now.

Marie wants to go to the beach tomorrow, and I'm still gonna have to go to the dentist Monday, so sometime after that, it will be done. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'm really sick of all the work, time for the trip to the beach. All this crap will be here when I get back!

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

The fogs love the beach, well, old Molly does,Foxy and Leo have only been once and were still new to things other than abuse and a chain.
    They are all bathed and nice and clean and brushed. I think this trip will be a good one,hope so anyway.
    Its hot for Febuary even here in Florida! I probably won't get in the water today anyway, then again?.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake is outside somewhere .
    I think he thinks the beach trip is off, but I got news for the 'homing pigeon', IT IS BEACH TRIP TIME!
    I hope the old van gets us there and back. No fun being broke down even less so with 3 panting dogs, been there done that. But being springtime in February,:confused:o_O, may as well try it.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

News flash…….. February is over, we are in March, and almost to Daylight Savings Time again !
    Have a wonderful time at the beach, Marie, and i am envious.
    We do not live anywhere near an ocean anymore, and I love being able to go to the ocean. The Pacific is much colder than the Atlantic, so I didn’t go in very deep, but enjoyed wading around on the edge and listening to the waves come in.
    Take pictures ! !

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Have fun, Marie!

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yvonne thanks for the heads up on the month, see I told you I needed a trip away.:)
    It was away but since it's Bike Week and the beaches are crowded because of warm weather, the trip wasn't what I'd hoped for, but I did get out and Jake and the dogs seemed to like it, most of the time anyway.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you, Beth, we did enjoy ourselves but not what I expected.
    We put about 220 miles on the van there and back and it did ok transmission only slipped a couple times.

13. Jake Smith

Registered

We snapped a couple of photos is all, will load them, and put them up tomorrow, if they came out; it was really hard to see the picture with the sun on the phone. It was good to get out a little, it's been forever, it seems.

Van did really great, compared to the last trip anywhere. :)

14. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not really cold but then after a day of 83 and air conditioning when it comes down to low 40s overnight that is a bit too much for my old bones. Had to get up last night and turn on a radiator for the cats that sleep on their little wooden perch I put on top of that radiator, it does not get too hot and it was pretty cool and I could tell they were getting a bit cold because they usually sleep pretty tight and never get up until around 5am

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

What state are you in?

Jake Smith and Thomas Stillhere like this.