Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Not finding the right guy and getting married again is one of my regrets at home repair time. I can whine, whimper, stomp my feet, and even slam the door making a dramatic exit, but alas the repair awaits, taunting me until I get motivated. :mad:

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, my life sure hasn't slowed down since SS retirement. Here's the list:
    Loading/running dishwasher and putting away the dishes
    Vacuuming & mopping (w/iRobot's Hazel and Mabel)
    Paying some bills online
    Ordering some things from Amazon and a few other places
    Doing laundry
    Changing bed linens
    Doing an online order (curbside pick-up) from Walmart
    And, packing, packing, packing. Darn near all wall pictures all packed up now.
    Yes, doing all of these things, along with being my wife's Driver and Bodyguard! LOL
    I darn near feel like I'm doing more now than when I was employed.

All while my wife is in our spare bedroom doing an "at-home" job.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Regarding @Jake Smith OP, I am reminded just a few months after retirement and trying to finish life-long hobby dreams, keep the house up, etc., I made the comment after being asked how I filled my time during these newly found leisure days, " I don't know where I ever found the time for going to work on a job." :D

Things didn't slow down till after cancer and it seems I lost interest in all my hobbies since I had accomplished what I set out to do in all of them. I had rather waste my days causing hate and discontent on the internet than do something constructive. :( I love to reminisce and bore others to tears. :rolleyes:

4. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

lol, on your new hobby, I too lost interest in my old hobbies, as I got older and retired, new jobs seem to multiply instead of slowing down. I started this thread just wondering how others may deal with retirement but are still too busy and filling somewhat guilty about unfinished projects.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Well Faye you seem to get it done so you're doing something right. You seem like a strong woman [ I would say lady, but that's not you, or me either:D].

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

Fills like I am busier than I was, it's still a seven-day-a-week job. We do divide up house hole chores cooking and cleaning but with other jobs like replacing the tank on the well, repairing vehicles, rescreening porch, cleansing ac, caring for animals, and etc etc etc. Seems something is always gonna break after you just fixed something else. It's never-ending and I just have to pace myself to slowly get things done. I'm very glad to be able to do all I do.:)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I wondered how the working class gets all the other stuff done that we do 'in retirement'. In the old days there was a housewife. I guess that they hire everything done which they have to go to work to get the money to pay for all the work others do for them.
    I kinda would like a maid, though.

8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You got it easy, dude! ;)That's nothing new. That short list is what every working wife/ single person/homemaker has been doing every single day of our adult life, and more, long before retirement.

9. Jake Smith

Registered

Maid sounds good if you can afford it. :)

Marie Mallery and Krystal Shay like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’d like to be able to truthfully say that I do what I deem to be the most important chore at the time but alas, in actuality it’s merely my special method of procrastination.
    Today is a nice day and suitable for setting a door, mowing the lawns and trimming out the bathtub so that means it’s time to settle back and think about what I should do first and how I can do it it in a timely and highly professional manner.

Maybe a nap might help with that.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, we are ladies alright, just not diva sissies. :D:D:D The reason we don't go to the rodeo is we have too much rodeo going on at home. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

" a man works from sun to sun, but a womans work is never done,"

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You nailed it. A guy retires and plays golf or whatever, but the wife is still stuck with all the housework unless the guy has the decency to hire help. Usually, the guy whines about paying a housekeeper minimum wage.

I have seen it both ways. I know one couple where the guy worked 12 hours a day, 5 days a week all his working years. She worked 7 hours a day 4 days a week. He retired (age 62) due to disability before she did (age 72) and he took over all the housework. She retired and refused to do anything saying she was too old and retired and if she wanted to work, she would have stayed on the job.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was thinking that list would normally take less than an hour, especially using machines to vacuum and mop. :D

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was working class, raised 5 kids, and still did it all. I used to move a lot faster than I do now, though. :D (And starting when the kids were about 10, they had responsibility for their own rooms.)