Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just as a progress report, I did get the back courtyard mowed down and the bathtub trimmed out yesterday though I have to admit that it did take a lot of thought as to which one should be done first.

I’m looking at the front yard whilst having my coffee on the porch and figuring that whilst the yard does need to be trimmed down a bit and the trucks need to be washed, the trucks might have to wait.
    Autumn pollen will be all over the trucks pretty soon so washing them now and then washing them again in a month seems like a terrible waste of water.

To be perfectly serious though, I have more to do than I have time for and could actually stay busier than I was when I was in the work force.
    As it is, I stay pretty busy not only because things need to get done but I just do not like the idea of not working merely because that’s what “old” folks are expected to do.
    Again, it’s a matter of quality of life.
    I can pace myself and spend my time as I wish instead of looking at the time clock versus production but the human body just doesn’t do well when in the sitting or laying position for any great length of time.

All that said, I don’t know when or how I will pass from this earth’s hold but there’s two things for sure and that is the coroner will see calluses on my hands but not on my butt and I’ll be one well built corpse when that time comes.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

That's kind of funny. I was just thinking yesterday as a thorn from buckthorn I was ripping out, cut up the palm of my hand. I don't have callouses any more! It seems in my old age I finally wear gloves all the time. (except for yesterday:confused:)
    My hands used to be calloused and cracked. The coroner will look at my hands and think, "Now, there's a lady!"
    Or not.:D

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I slept in till 2 yesterday and today also. Up at 2 AM instead of my regular 3 AM because of the neighbors' dog barking. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  4. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We do have things in common, more to do than we have time for. When I'm filling bad, I still make myself go, and think that is what keeps me going. It keeps me too, in pretty good shape. Wonder how rich people keep from getting out of shape, always paying others to do the work? Looks to me from what I've seen they're not actually totally happy either.:rolleyes: It does sound like you're getting things done.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

:D, Our skin does seem thinner as we get older, I have noticed that.o_O

6. Jake Smith

Registered

That's not good, I watched a video where that was happening to someone, so they recorded the dog and when the neighbor was trying to sleep, they played it loud with the stereo speaker of their dog and it fixed the problem.
    Not saying to do it, just reminded me of it. :)

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, I am thinking of using my super megaphone that has sounds on it. I think the mountain lion snarl followed by the police sirens might get the trick done. The problem is it would disturb the entire neighborhood. I am the only one that is disturbed by the dog since my bedroom window is about 15 feet from the fence where he comes to bark at the cats patrolling my yard. What I do now is to take my super bright multi-cell flashlight and shine it in their lightly curtained bedroom window. I went over once and the guy there said he wasn't the owner of the dog. I put a note on their door that seemed to help for a while.

If it continues I will have one middle-aged neighbor, that has known me for 30 years, go over and tell them stories about how I am crazy and unhinged.

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

You seem to have it figured out. I know neighbors can be a real pest at times. It's getting to be like that everywhere this day and time. I know any time you watch the news, somebody has done somebody wrong. Good luck, with that neighbor:).

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I suppose some people are more sensitive than others. A few years ago, a new neighbor decided to open a dog kennel in his side yard, which borders my house. I don't know much about dogs but these were all the same kind of dog, I would assume a pure breed since he was running a kennel, and they were the kind that howled.

That was kind of annoying for a few days, but then I got used to it, as I did the railroad trains that once went by behind my house. Another neighbor, across the street, complained about it loudly, though. I don't think anyone contacted the town, but I'm sure he complained to the guy with the dogs, and he eventually gave up the idea of running a kennel here and moved elsewhere, after which the house was vacant for a couple of years. The new owner is in a band, so he sits on his steps and plays the guitar, and sings often, which is less annoying than the howling dogs. He's nearly my age, so at least it's not punk rock or heavy metal.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yup. Neighbors should just all be killed.:D

Jake Smith likes this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

I've seen on news, that quite a few that did kill their neighbors and their self. Like these below.

12. Jake Smith

Registered

The same thing happened to my youngest brother a neighbor with a pack of dogs howling all night, it drove him nuts for a while, they had words a few times. They eventually moved on and then on the other side of him a woman and her kids moved in and were having lots of loud parties with teens, and one night the house burned down, didn't hurt anyone that I remember, after that he bought the lot, so he has no one on that side of him anymore, the lot went all the way to the road. He's happy about that, all the teens were torturing him for a while there.

Marie Mallery and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Still no slower around here, as I look around and see more and more that needs attending to.:rolleyes: After going to the grocery store shopping for food, somehow picked up a head and sinus cold, which gave me three days of aggravation, but now day six, I am starting to feel better, so I can go at it again. Will get the brooder pen back up and useable again for these little chicks. They starting to grow some now. Recheck the vehicles for fluids and running and shifting which were nice on their last trips to town. Fingers crossed, porch screens are still waiting in the utility building to be put on the porch but need a couple of repairs and painting on 2x4s before they will be ready to screen, I have the paint waiting. Still need three new screen doors to change out the old ones with. As the Thread title says, I just thought things would slow down.:)

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Ended up cutting grass all day, since it's gonna rain, and will start the brooder pen tomorrow. :)

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

Fixed the brooder pen yesterday, and put peeps in it today so all is good.:)

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.