Thomas Jefferson, Deist; Was He A Christian ?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My son and I were having a conversation about religion last night, and the topic went to Thomas Jefferson being what is called a Deist. This is someone who believes that there is a God, but does not accept all of what is taught in Christian theological writings.
    I looked it up online and found an interesting article explains his beliefs, and found that I can agree with a lot of his reasoning.

Here is an excerpt from the article:
    Jefferson took the issue of religion very seriously. A man of the Enlightenment, he certainly applied to himself the advice which he gave to his nephew Peter Carr in 1787: "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

This makes a lot of sense to me, although I was raised in a church where people were taught to just accept what the Bible said , without questioning anything. We know that organized religion has for many years, used the threat of Hell to force people to do as the religious leaders wanted them to do, and portions of the Bible were removed or changed through interpretation , to encourage that obedience.

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/jeffersons-religious-beliefs

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The link refers to Jefferson as a Theist, but I have often heard him spoken of as a Deist. Your website should know. I have read that he was quoted as saying, "I believe in one God, but I have no problem with those who believe in three." The Founding Fathers are often denounced as Deists or Atheists by those who are against the U.S. Constitution, but I believe Franklin was the only Atheist and Jefferson (perhaps) the only Deist. Both, however, realized the importance of strong family and religious bonds as necessary for a stable society. Those trying to destroy the U.S. also realize this, and that is why the family and religion are both under persistent attack now.

3. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thomas Jefferson, along with many other Founders, were products of the "Enlightenment." They were Deists. They believed in a creationist god who has been taking a very long vacation since that time. No, they weren't Christians. As far as they were concerned, nothing that has happened since the time of the creation of the universe has had anything to do with god. There's good information here: https://www.religioustolerance.org/deism.htm

4. Joyce Senior

Registered

You're probably one of what are now called "Nones," Yvonne. They're the fastest growing group in the country and are 26% of the U.S. adult population as of 2018-19.

"U.S. Around two-thirds of U.S. adults (65%) describe themselves as Christian, according to Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019. That’s down 12 percentage points since 2009. At the same time, the share of “nones” – religiously unaffiliated adults who describe their religion as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – has reached 26%, up from 17% a decade ago."

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/13/19-striking-findings-from-2019/

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I would be a NONE and part of that 26 % There is 86 million of us.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Joyce Senior

Registered

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thomas Jefferson is considered by almost everyone to be a genius. He believed in a God and a divine Creation of this earth and the inhabitants as a part of that Divine God.
    There seems to also be a lot of information showing that , while he wasn’t what we consider a regular Christian by our guidelines, he did believe in Jesus, and wrote several religious books, including what is called “The Jefferson Bible “., while also denouncing atheism strongly.

Another quote from the article explains this much better:

Jefferson was a devout theist, believing in a benevolent creator God to whom humans owed praise. In an early political text, he wrote that “The god who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time;…”
    He often referred to his or “our” God but did so in the language of an eighteenth century natural philosophy: “our creator,” the “Infinite Power, which rules the destinies of the universe,” “overruling providence,” “benevolent governor,” etc.
    In 1823, he wrote to John Adams referring to “the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore” while denouncing atheism.

60581B9A-52E4-40BF-ACB4-94862C1562D4.jpeg

Babs Hunt, Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My method of study begins with “disprove everything” so when it came time to study the Bible, the same process was used.
    Doubt is a normal thing for indeed even those personages throughout the Bible including the Apostles had doubts so why the big hubbub if Jefferson merely stated that one shouldn’t take everything in the Bible blindly and as fact? Again, II Tim. 2:15 comes into play.
    Between study, the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the Fruits of the Spirit I can easily say that my doubts were totally wiped out. But again, it took a lot of study and a lot of praying.

Now, whether Jefferson was a Theist or a Deist really doesn’t matter. He had doubts just as I did. So What?
    What does matter is what are you?

To be a Deist one has to deny the Holy Spirit for indeed, He is the “interacting” part of our triune God and to deny Him would be calling Jesus and all the Apostles and all those who have had experiences with the Holy Spirit a liar.
    Moreover, it makes the Bible a lie from creation to Revelation.
    Even if by some remote chance that Deism is the reality, to be a Theist, rather, a mono-Theist and believe in a single God who interacts with His children and the universe gives honor to God and all of His work so…?

The thing is, if you want to be a “NONE” be one. Atheist? Be one or be a ton of other ism’s and ist’s that philosophers and theosophers throughout the ages have proclaimed themselves and others to be. Free Will. Have at it.

There will indeed come a time when we will ALL know the truth and all the philosophies, all the brilliance of every single link one can provide will be found either with fault, or not. There’s no in between unless of course, there is no life after death.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Joyce Senior

Registered

We'll all know the truth ONLY if there's an afterlife. LOL

10. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you Yvonne for the good reference.

Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers are increasingly being called Deists because of what the schools teach, the secular media promotes, and anti-Christian individuals want to believe. Unfortunately, the lies have become widely accepted along with the denial of America's Christian heritage - based upon modern sources speaking for the founding fathers rather than the words of the founding fathers themselves. To that point, let me counter Joyce's position being supported by one of these deceptive anti-Christian sources.

I have a video on the subject that specifically shows how the dictionary definition of a Deist has changed over the years. Jefferson may have been classified as a Deist back in his day, but not by today's definition. Today's Deist would not detail God's providence in the country's affairs, yet Thomas Jefferson like most of the founding fathers did. Here's one of his quotes that would not be consistent with a Deist.

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? " (Jefferson Monument: Wall inscription (1943) taken from Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, 1782.)

For those not convinced, take a read of this government Proclamation which Jefferson signed as the Governor of Virginia. I've colored the pointed phrases in red to clearly demonstrate that his public words and actions do not support any modern day concept or definition of Deism.

Proclamation Appointing a Day of Thanksgiving and Prayer

Whereas the Honourable the General Congress, impressed with a grateful sense of the goodness of Almighty God, in blessing the greater part of this extensive continent with plentiful harvests, crowning our arms with repeated successes, conducting us hitherto safely through the perils with which we have been encompassed and manifesting in multiplied instances his divine care of these infant states, hath thought proper by their act of the 20th day of October last, to recommend to the several states that Thursday the 9th of December next be appointed a day of publick and solemn thanksgiving and prayer, which act is in these words, to wit.

“Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God, with gratitude and praise, for the wonders which his goodness has wrought in conducting our forefathers to this western world; for his protection to them and to their posterity, amidst difficulties and dangers; for raising us their children from deep distress, to be numbered among the nations of the earth; and for arming the hands of just and mighty Princes in our deliverance; and especially for that he hath been pleased to grant us the enjoyment of health and so to order the revolving seasons, that the earth hath produced her increase in abundance, blessing the labours of the husbandman, and spreading plenty through the land; that he hath prospered our arms and those of our ally, been a shield to our troops..., pointed their swords to victory, and led them in triumph over the bulwarks of the foe; that he hath gone with those who went out into the wilderness against the savage tribes; that he hath stayed the hand of the spoiler, and turned back his meditated destruction; that he hath prospered our commerce, and given success to those who sought the enemy on the face of the deep; and above all, that he hath diffused the glorious light of the gospel, whereby, through the merits of our gracious Redeemer, we may become the heirs of his eternal glory. Therefore,

Resolved, that it be recommended to the several states to appoint THURSDAY the 9th of December next, to be
    a day of publick and solemn THANKSGIVING to Almighty God, for his mercies, and of PRAYER, for the continuance of his favour and protection to these United States; to beseech him that he would be graciously pleased to influence our publick Councils, and bless them with wisdom from on high, with unanimity, firmness and success; that he would go forth with our hosts and crown our arms with victory; that he would grant to his church, the plentiful effusions of divine grace, and pour out his holy spirit on all Ministers of the gospel; that he would bless and prosper the means of education, and spread the light of christian knowledge through the remotest corners of the earth; that he would smile upon the labours of his people, and cause the earth to bring forth her fruits in abundance, that we may with gratitude and gladness enjoy them; that he would take into his holy protection, our illustrious ally, give him victory over his enemies, and render him finally great, as the father of his people, and the protector of the rights of mankind; that he would graciously be pleased to turn the hearts of our enemies, and to dispence the blessings of peace to contending nations.

That he would in mercy look down upon us, pardon all our sins, and receive us into his favour; and finally,
    that he would establish the independance of these United States upon the basis of religion and virtue, and support and protect them in the enjoyment of peace, liberty and safety.”

I do therefore by authority from the General Assembly issue this my proclamation, hereby appointing Thursday the 9th day of December next, a day of publick and solemn thanksgiving and prayer to Almighty God, earnestly recommending to all the good people of this commonwealth, to set apart the said day for those purposes, and to the several Ministers of religion to meet their respective societies thereon, to assist them in their prayers, edify them with their discourses, and generally to perform the sacred duties of their function, proper for the occasion.

Given under my hand and the seal of the commonwealth, at Williamsburg, this 11th day of November, in the year of our Lord, 1779, and in the fourth of the commonwealth.

THOMAS JEFFERSON

11. Joyce Senior

Registered

Jefferson has always been questionable on this; the others haven't been as far as I know. Jefferson seems to have said and done things on both sides of the issue. For instance
    Jefferson's beliefs, unlike other Founders who were definitely Deists, has always been questionable. One thing he wasn't was a believer in an interventionist god who could perform miracles, nor did he believe in the divinity of Jesus. Here's a summary: Jefferson's Religious Beliefs | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello .

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So, when he wrote, “ The God that gave us life gave us liberty as well” didn’t mean God gave us life and gave us liberty? For someone who didn’t believe God can and does intervene it sure as heck reads as though he did.

13. Joyce Senior

Registered

He believed in god. It's the kind of god he believed in that's questionable. He wrote on various sides of the issue to the point that I wonder if he had a clear conception and liked to debate from different sides or if he was searching within himself for an answer.

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

One thing you might note is that when Jefferson wrote about God, it was with a high case G and not a low case.
    If he had written in the lower case, one would believe that he did indeed have a question concerning A God versus a god or multiple gods.
    The Jefferson Bible does indicate he had questions regarding the divinity of Jesus by the lack of the 4 gospels and Jesus’s miracles but from what I have seen of his writings he had no doubts concerning God.

When writing about someone’s beliefs or lack of, one should attempt to BE that person. No matter what your personal beliefs are, they should stay irrelevant and shouldn’t serve to bias an opinion one way or the other. History is history and it should remain true to form as much as humanly possible.

15. Joyce Senior

Registered

As I said, he believed in god; the question is what kind of belief that was. I don't see any reason to attempt to be anyone other than who I am unless I'm on stage playing a part. When I quote someone, I do so exactly or show with brackets where I'm not.

Lon Tanner likes this.