Those Absurd, New, Gas Can Design Mandates!

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Trevalius Guyus, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, if you're someone who relies on daily gas can use, like me, you probably know what I'm going to write about, here.

The powers that be, keep changing their minds about what constitutes a "safe" gas can. This leads to manufacturers coming up with gas cans so stupidly designed that they are virtually impossible to use!

I am talking about plastic cans, here. Metal cans are too heavy, and too large, for my purposes, at least as I've experienced them, thus far.

So, we now must buy cans with goofy nozzles that take a half-hour course on their design, just to use them: Push this button, pull this lever, ease back this sliding piece, bend this nozzle, etc.,etc.,etc..... to madness!

Even before the preceding, you need to FILL the damn can. THAT is more madness! These days, there are internal filters mandated for the cans. Turn on the gas pump, insert the nozzle, squeeze, and.... you've just given your pants and shoes a nice shower of fresh gas! Great, right?

Oh, and let's assume you actually succeed in filling the can over the course of a frustrating half hour. Screw the goofy nozzle top on, go home, try to fill whatever, and...... you're now changing into your third pair of pants and shoes for the day, as you've just gotten leaking gas all over the second pair you changed into when you got home from the gas station! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Well, I've taken matters into my own hands, now, literally: I have found old fashioned nozzles, online. I have an ultra-long, needle nose pliers. As soon as I have everything ready to go, I'll buy a new can, trash the goofy nozzle, rip out the internal filter, screw on the retro nozzle, and let you know how it goes.

Stay tuned.....

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I know what you mean. And the nozzle is reduced by half on my latest one with some air backflow modification, so the gas takes forever to come out of the can. There are several videos on YouTube describing how to modify the nozzles now, but they are a lot of work. Good luck.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was gonna modify mine, but I figured I might hurt the feelings of the originators of these regs as they and their families fly overhead in their private jets.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

State of California was first (of course), requiring "anti-tip-over" leak protection. This was years ago; by now, gas cans there may be totally illegal.

Note propane cylinders: they are regulated in even fiercer ways: Cannot be filled more than 80% full. Liquid propane expands with temperature increase, making a full can burst, a scene reminiscent of the exploding tank cars in Kingman, AZ.

Frank

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Propane cylinders must also be certified (inspected) every so often. A cursory web search showed 5, 7 and even 12 years as the time interval to have this done. I don't know what drives the difference (jurisdiction, size of the tank, etc.) I just had 2 of mine done last year.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I have spilled more gas since the better cans came out than I did my entire life.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I feel for ya @Trevalius Guyus!
    I tried to use one of those new flip a lever and push the big black button cans to fill up a kerosene heater I use on the porch and found that it takes 3 or 4 hands to do it successfully.

I can’t imagine having to fill some chainsaws and other equipment multiple times a day. Seems to me that the engineers responsible for making safety equipment must be smoking something prior to hitting the drafting table and use someone else to mow their lawns.

8. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, and the really frustrating thing is that in the rare event a gizmo top comes out that actually is operable, it soon disappears as new "improvements" in the OK design are put out by the same company in no time at all! Then, of course, the new top is impossible to use.

Bobby Cole likes this.