Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Connie Benton, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Connie Benton

Connie Benton Well-Known Member
    Registered

I understand that Tiger Woods is a gifted golf legend. However, in watching his comeback at the Masters, I am really turned off by the way he is glorified by both the announcers and the crowd. I find the other players are not given the same attention and praise that he is given. Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one who thinks there is too much "Tiger worship"?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like Tiger.

I won't list all of his records, but they are many (3 PGA wins in his rookie year PLUS winning the Masters by 12 strokes that same year plus being ranked #1 that same year!!!) If he were a lesser player, I might agree with you. But he is a phenom. He is the best ever. He's elevated himself above all others.

That being said, I've never thought it was appropriate to slobber over any celebrity in any field...but when they're announcing a golf game and he is in it, that's kinda what they gotta do. No other players are due the praise. Now, if they were slobbering over him while announcing a hockey game... ;)

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Firstly, the media is capeable of stirring up a frenzy about their chosen subject. I can think of a baseball 'hero' and football 'hero' here in Wisconsin. The rest of the teams are seldom mentioned.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been Tiger fans for a long time. I watched him play at the Masters yesterday and on Thursday. When he plays, the crowd is enormous and that means lots and lots of money!

Extremely glad to see him make the "Cut" yesterday. We would love to see him with the Masters, but.

Some players simply deserve all of the attention from fans and the media they get, and, Tiger is most definitely one of them.

5. Connie Benton

Registered

I guess it's kind of hard for me to feel all excited for his "remarkable" recovery after he almost killed himself driving twice the speed limit around a curve.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, other sports celebs have done much worse. For us, he will always be the PGA golfer that tops all of the rest............and the amount of crowds that shows up when he golfs states just that. Tournament officials love it when Tiger is playing.

Yesterday, even when Tiger got a Par, the crowd could be heard all over the Masters.

Actually, Connie, how much are you into PGA golf? We've been watching on tv for years. We don't actually golf, but do golf in our living room on our Wii Game.

7. Connie Benton

Registered

I have golfed and have been watching for years, coming from a home with 4 men who are avid golfers. I agree that he is a legend and one of the greatest golfers. However, as I said, I find it hard to heap praise on him after his antics. I admit it's probably wrong of me to not be able to separate the two but it's how I am.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I almost mentioned that--and the marital stuff--in my first comment. It seems that there are no personal behaviour standards for most celebrities, but the fact of the matter is that this stuff grates on us because it is emblematic of the universal unfairness of Life and the overtly inconsistent application of the rules (or even the law.)

We've all seen situations where "favored children" get away with almost anything, while those of us who obey the rules and are responsible are often unfairly criticized and held to different standards. There is no place where the unfairness is more egregious and more public than sports, music, acting, politics, etc. I can see your point about announcers gushing over Tiger having recovered from self-inflicted injuries incurred while behaving irresponsibly and in a way that endangered others. (Once again, this is emblematic of the universal corruption of all media.) It's inappropriate and the announcers should temper/qualify their comments (perhaps some have and it's not at the forefront.) The edge is taken off my disgust in this specific case because Tiger seems to be the kind of man who would agree with you & me. Others in his situation might not.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do understand how you feel Connie because yes, the other golfers are indeed shadowed by the Tiger Woods mystique but he is the money maker so I can also understand the medias adoration as well.

Now, so far as his marital stuff and his driving record and coming back after some serious injuries after having an accident whilst demonstrating his driving ability, whilst I understand the attitude I have my own take on it.

It’s kinda like the Will Smith thing and the position some are taking about his Oscar. Now, did he deserve to win the Oscar? Dunno but he won it for his acting ability. Should it be taken away because he slapped Rock? No because again, he won it for acting and it has nothing to do with what he does off screen.

The other question is should Tiger be adored for being a lousy driver and coming back after serious injuries to play the Masters? Dunno. I wouldn’t have been disappointed if he retired after being injured but he does deserve an atta boy only for his ability to recover.
    Maybe it’s a guy thing but again, I do see your point.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Totally understand.

11. Connie Benton

Registered

Thanks for admitting that (in this day and age where talking about gender is a no- no!) Maybe my attitude is a girl thing. The marital stuff probably started that.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah. But in truth, I don’t think any man gives Tiger an attaboy for using his other putter off the links.

He had the best sponsor a man could ask for (his wife) and the whole course waiting for him at home but instead decided that he was going to gamble and ended up paying to play whilst experimenting his short game on other greens.
    Guys do dumb things.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Connie Benton and Al Amoling like this.
  13. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

He is far behind agn in this years' Masters missing easy putts as he is now famous for

14. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I suspected his scores would erode the longer he played. The miles of walking, by round 3, have added up, and the pain must be dreadful. Yes, I get a little weary of all the adulation, but it's money in the bank for everyone involved.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

At the end of play Saturday it is clear he is way off on his range on the greens.

Bobby Cole likes this.