Today I Found A Long Lost Friend!

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Over 50 years ago, I lived close to a lady who also had horses and we often went riding together. My son was about the same age as her daughter, and we were both expecting another baby in the spring, so we bonded and became the best of friends.
    We lived out in the country, so at that time she was my only friend, and I was going through a hard time in my marriage with an abusive husband, and I was so glad to have her in my life .
    A few years later, when my daughter was born, I named her after my dear friend.

Several years after that, both of us had moved, happenstance had made changes in both of our lives, and we lost track of each other.
    Back in the 1970’s, there was no such thing as doing a google search for someone, no Facebook, and I had no way to find Bobbie again.

Years went by, and I still thought of her often, and wondered what had become of her, and how her life was. Eventually, I was able to start searching for her on the internet.
    However, she had divorced and remarried, and I had no idea what last name she might have by then, and all of my searching came to nothing.

Recently, I came across her marriage license for her first husband , which had Bobbie’s maiden name on it, so I started searching for that name on search engines and facebook.
    Using her maiden name took me to another married name which looked like it could be her, and when I searched deeper, it also had the name of her two daughters, and they had facebook pages.

When I looked at facebook pictures, I could see that both of the girls looked exactly how I remembered their mother looking, so I was sure that I had finally found someone that would know where Bobbie was, and I messaged both of the daughters.

Last night, I got an answer back from both girls, explained who I was and that Bobbie had been my dearest friend all those many years ago, and that I would love to be able to talk with her again.
    Bobbie had NO idea that I had been searching for her for all of these years, so she was totally astounded when her daughter told her that I had messaged them asking for a way to contact their mom.

I think that the Lord must have sent angels to help out with this, because not only did I talk on the phone with my dear friend today, it turns out that she had just moved to Alabama in December, so God even put her where we have a chance to see each other again.
    Her daughter that lives near her is going to make arrangements to bring Bobbie up to see me when they next come to Huntsville, which is just amazing !

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been able to locate all my closest friends from 50 years ago and found they were all deceased. The last one took me four years and when I found her, it was because her grandson had posted a YouTube video of a 45rpm record we had cut for background music for her life photo album. She had died just one month earlier of cancer and the video was a tribute to her life.

It is amazing that you located your friend, Yvonne, and now can actually get together. :)

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of my high school classmates, that I graduated with in 1968, are on Facebook. One of them started a Facebook page back in 2015 for an upcoming Class Reunion that we were unable to attend.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Connie Benton

Connie Benton Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm so happy for you Yvonne! What a gift!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Today I found an old friend. Unfortunately it was his obituary that I found. The last time I saw him was at out 25th class reunion. I've been putting his name in search engines for years with no results. Today I was using a new(for me) search engine and I type in Judy's name and it found a listing that was related to our high school so I looked the names and there was my friend who died 1/6/2022. I tried looking for his daughters but no hits.So I left a message on the funeral director's website.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You might try putting his name into this website, Al. Top-level data is free. You don't have to give your email address or any info. At a minimum, you can see who your friend's associates were (including children w/their married names) and click on their links to see the city/state in which they reside. I have no idea what's required to get further details, or if those details are accurate, or if the rest of the site might not even be a scam...I've never gone that far. But the top-level stuff can point you in the right direction. I've been on it often with no negative repercussions, and I know it to be accurate.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thats is such a sweet story Yvonne! What a blessing to meet up with an old friend. I still have contact with one of my childhood friend's talk to her almost daily. My other one met a man who doesn't let her have friend's. I really miss her.

Anyway glad for you.

Yvonne Smith likes this.