Tomorrow Is The Aniversary Of Judy Garland's Death, June 22 1969

Discussion in 'Music' started by Thomas Stillhere, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I finally found the youtube full show and 3rd episode of the Judy Garland show with Daughter Liza. This was 1963 and at the time I was living in Oklahoma City, we watched it on our old black and white set. I have two listings here for great photos and the lower one the actual youtube full show. I was just a very young boy laying on a hardwood floor around 6pm probably on a Saturday and for the first time watching the original black n white version of the Wizard of OZ, same old TV set in the family since I was 3 years old.

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/00/04/09/specials/garland-obit.html

https://discussionsbytopic.com/liza-minnelli-judy-garland-show

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=yo...i=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NViZ6MDsmys

Tony Page and Mary Stetler like this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

An amazing talent. My youngest daughter has followed her since she was in diapers( my daughter not Judy) I think she's like a Judy Garland Wikipedia. She actually played Dorothy in school when she was 13.
    T C M has been playing Judy Garland movies all month wife and I just watched the clock with Judy and Robert Walker.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I got the feeling she was another child star molested by the Hollywood Machine, and who never recovered.

Regarding Wizard of Oz: remember when it played on network TV annually? Those damned flying monkeys...

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  4. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

It was colorized, released black n white for the theaters until they did the color work decades later. Hard to believe it was not a money maker when it first came on screen.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

A lot of movie historians consider 1939 to be the greatest year for movies.
    Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, gunga din, dark victory......

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  6. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

And none made money until decades after release. My Grandmother loved movies because when she was just a teen they never had the money for a movie, even a silent movie. Most people of the south at that time were picking cotton to survive, it wasn't always Blacks that picked cotton and I can tell you her and her three brothers picked for 25 cents a day ! So when she got older she loved to go to the movies and I got to tag along with her until I started school. I saw a lot of the great movies of the 50s and I remember them well. It was always the downtown Majestic or the Metropolitan Theaters of Houston. A trip downtown on the old city owned bus, if you wanted to be cooler you had to sit next to an open window, no air conditioning of the city buses then.

Attached Files:

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I recall, they colorized the second half after she got to Oz, or maybe when she started on The Yellow Brick Road.

Regarding the other comments: I agree, you cannot beat the older movies. Part of it certainly is the age we were when we first watched (much as how certain songs resonate later in life), but the depth of plot/story line and quality of acting was certainly superior. Technology (in many cases and in many fields) lowers the standards for the other components. Entertainment is just one example.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Thomas Stillhere and Tony Page like this.