Tonights Dinner At The Old Folks Home Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you're gonna stuff them, it's gotta be with crab meat.

Of course, being on the mid-Atlantic, crab meat is widely available. Maybe it's not as common in other parts of the country.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ya know John, at first I thought you were kidding because in the 53 years I spent in the Food and Beverage industry I’d never even heard of a mushroom brush.
    Kinda like sending a newly graduated airborne soldier for some canopy lights for a night jump. They don’t exist but it’s a lot of fun to watch someone scramble to find them.
    But noooooooo, I looked it up and yup, clear as daylight and on Google, there are indeed such things as mushroom brushes.

Even if I had one it would probably wind up in my shop for cleaning circuitry or something like that.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I took the gold and beat Paul Prudhomme in 1981 at the New Orleans Food Festival with my recipe of crab stuffed mushrooms and a 2nd recipe for pan’ee Frog Legs.
    He never competed again after that.

4. John Brunner

Good for you, man!! Paul was pretty well-known. I gotta think there are thumbs on the scale for the celebrity chefs.

I love me some crab-stuffed shrooms, with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over the top. I don't make them very often because the rest of that pound of crab meat does not freeze very well unless you make crab cakes or something else out of it first.

Regarding frog legs: There used to be an all-you-can-eat place in the DC/MD/VA area named Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. It was low-key family dining, with picnic tables covered with newspapers. Like lots of those places, you got free refills of the item you ordered and of everything else on the menu that was priced the same or less. Frog legs were the most expensive thing. They were OK. "Tastes just like chicken" as I recall. Of course, refills of seafood came out slowly , while the hush puppy basket was always kept full.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee whiz. I thought moldy and musty was the special taste that made mushrooms mushrooms. I kinda like it. Shows what I know.

Anyway, we always used to peel the ones we gathered from the field. The tops I mean. Not much to wash after you do that. We never ate the ones that turned that black because they already had worms.

[​IMG]

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Funny you should mention peeling. I now recall my mother taking a paring knife and peeling the white button mushrooms (she would grab the skin between the knife and her thumb right at the rim of the cap and pull it off.) As an adult, I just use a mushroom brush...I make it damp and knock off the dirt. I'll eat them raw that way. After all, the manure has been sterilized. And you can't over-exercise that immune system ;) I had forgotten all about her peeling them. What a waste of time...

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

You don't need a knife. It's not like peeling an apple. More like peeling a banana. Comes right off.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well being the rebel that I am, I discarded all the "expert" opinions about not washing mushrooms. I DO wash them, and very well. I have never noticed them absorbing any water or being degraded in any way. I don't use a brush or any other special tool; just wipe them dry with paper towels. I don't care how much the manure is sterilized... it's still manure. Oh, and I have never peeled a mushroom, either.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is my story also! No peeling and lots of washing. To answer the question of eating STUFFED Porobella I haven't that I can remember. I usually avoid the Portobella as it is overgrown and lacking in flavor and my desired texture, however maybe "stuffing" adds a new dimension. Perhaps I misunderstood when I made a very derogatory comment about Portobellos being tasteless and the chef told me to stuff them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I like a change of pace from my excellent Gourmet meals here at Oakmont and used GRUBHUT tonight to order a Thai Green Curry meal with shrimp.

Food Delivery | Restaurant Takeout | Or green curry 2.jpg green curry 2.jpg der Food Online | Grubhub

11. John Brunner

Not available in my area. No one delivers here, unless it's the occasional cow that gets loose. But even then it comes as a kit.

ps: Nice meal. I did Thai for lunch yesterday.

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I love hush puppies, use to order a dozen to eat at Drive In Theatre when I was with child ,dare hubby to ask for just one if not he would have eaten them all. In Georgia we had cat fish places everywhere and they had hush puppies.

Did yall know that the drive in theatres are coming back now? We went to one last year.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

There is a drive in the next county over. You just wonder how they can economically survive.

I might have to drive out there and catch a movie (and I'm laughing at getting hush puppies at the drive in.)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL I got the hush puppies at tThe Catsish King then went to drive in.
    John now I want to try that stuffed crab recipe.
    So you make it yourself?

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

it was fun to go back to the drive in. Its 60 miles one way though but maybe one will open closer to here soon.
    They ask you to please not bring food or drink because thats how they make their money is off concession stand.So we tried to spend at least what we would spend if we didn't bring our own food. Bought a few candy bars,pop corn to make up for it. We try to help small business.

John Brunner likes this.