Toxic Meat, Fish

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Not to scare anyone but just to warn not to eat too much 'healthy' food like I " thought" I've been doing!:eek:
    I eat low carb so lots of salmon patties. Also, chicken. Little red meat.
    Then I find out I'm being deceived with logos like " WILD CAUGHT", sUSTAINABLE. Seems most of our meat and fish come from one major company name 'JBS' out of Brazil.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f058...cm1hcmtldHMlMjBhbmQlMjByZXN0YXVyYW50cy4&ntb=1

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We eat a lot of beef, pork, and chicken. Fish, not so much. The Texas-based HEB grocery stores sell "locally grown" meats and vegetables that are produced in Texas, so I usually shop those. I am a careful label reader.

I remember seeing some frozen shrimp in a Walmart store that were labelled "Broussard's" (which is an extremely common name in southern Louisiana and southeast Texas) and a picture of a shrimp boat on the package. With a closer look, the shrimp was farm raised in China. I only buy shrimp that has been caught in Gulf waters because I like to support the small fishermen of the Gulf coast. Since we live about 45 miles north of Galveston, we have access to "boat fresh" seafood.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

What really gets to me is they lie like hell! But what we can do they have bought all the politicians and inspectors. FDA is no help either.
    I guess we will start fishing more and can the fish ourselves. Blues use to be plentiful and great tasting if you bleed them soon as you catch em. But we would need to go out away from the shore line to avoid some of the pollution from urban sprawl, or just eat the store brand stored salmon we have. Being careful is not easy. Maybe if I get intoxicated the toxic crapola won't bother me as much.Another dong! 'Guess I'll Just Sit Here and Drinkl'.;)

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The JBS U.S. Headquarters (chicken, pork and beef) is in Greeley, CO, east of us. There is a JBS Slaughter House/Meat Packing Plant in Greeley also. This Plant got lots of local news during the Covid 19 Pandemic, because there were many employees that got Covid 19 and some employees that even died from it.

My wife was offered a job at the Headquarters, in their Accounting Dept., but the Headquarters was just too far from our apartment for winter driving.

JBS is also a major sponsor of the PRCA rodeo held each year in Greeley.

We buy 99% of our beef, pork and chicken from Safeway Grocery Store. Thing is, something has happened with the hamburger we use to buy for grilling from Safeway. We now buy our hamburgers from McDonald's or ?

We just bought some frozen Butterfly Shrimp from Safeway and it cooked up in the oven very nicely. Once in a while, we will get fish from Culver's Restaurant. For lobster we go to Longhorn Steakhouse. I'll order a nice Flo's Fillet and lobster tail. My wife will get the lobster tail.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We only eat Fish from Gulf of Texas,Lousiana, Alaska and other USA based waters.
    Canada, NewZeland . Some are hard to find. Yes, you have to read the fine print.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. We pay out the butt for all these agencies, who make life miserable for some businesses (and food expensive for the rest of us), and in the end we're still not protected.

I have been buying my seafood from a guy who's about 7 miles up the road from me. I've bought about every kid of salt water fish from him there is, plus scallops, shrimp, crab and goodness knows what else. It's all good.

Marie Mallery likes this.