Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Last sighting of hummingbirds:
    Farm: Monday, 9/27/21
    Town: Thursday, 9/30/21

I believe they are all gone. {sniff} The little one didn't bulk up very much. If she makes it back next spring I think I would recognize her from her behavior.

No worries about the barn roof, flooding, lightning, wind, broken fence, hunters, deer bait, acorns, poison plants, finding alfalfa pellets, finding bedding straw, dogs, coyotes, hoof trimming, and saving scrap lumber. No bird feeders to fill or lawn or tractor mowing until April. I really have to look for things to do in the winter without goats.

The vinyl on the mobile home could stand washing. It would be better to hire someone, because I can't get high enough without a ladder. It would not be hard to find someone to do that job.

Bill Boggs and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you gotten flu shot, yet?

3. Nancy Hart

Registered

No. . Will wait 'til next routine Dr. appt, Nov 10th. Kill two birds with one stone.

Are you going to do the Covid booster? It'll be 8 months for me around Thanksgiving. Plan to do that one at the health dept. Hope it's as easy as last time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

(10/7/21) Thursday

Not a good week. Six straight days of rain, and not supposed to stop until Saturday morning. The days all ran together. It's been dark and dreary and the salt won't come out of the shakers. The good news---basement is not leaking, so far.

I have to eat my words about the hummingbirds. Guess who showed up Wednesday after 5 days missing. Back again today, all day. The bird experts say "Ruby-throated hummingbirds can raise up to three broods each year." ... The last ones to leave are the ones less than a year old, particularly if they are small, born late in the season. I didn't know all that.

I've only spent about an hour a day working in the basement. This turned out to be a bad week for this job, because there is nowhere to put things you want to throw away. As soon as it stops raining I'll start putting stuff outside or on the porch to haul off.

Earworm song, Pancho and Lefty, for 5 days, beginning to give me a sore throat humming the same notes over and over. This one has replaced it. I love this simple little song.

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yes, I can get it later this month and will do so.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Do you have to go to the same location to get the 3rd shot?

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I don't know. I hope not. I went to the VA hospital in OKC for my first two. I'm hoping I can get a booster here in Norman.

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

I wouldn't ask them (at the VA). Unless they have to do some kind of special health evaluation first.

If not, I'd just go to a nearby pharmacy, or wherever they give them, and see what happens. If they refuse, at least you gave it a shot ( ;) ).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

When I got my two regular shots they was none availabble in Norman. I'm hopingthat's not the case wuth the booster. I will get it at Walmart if possible.

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

(10/8/21) Friday
    The rain moved out earlier than predicted. I got a big deconstruction and demolition job done in the basement, which freed up a lot of space. The hummingbird showed up at 6:30 pm.
    -------------------------------------

Two seasons have passed since the yellow garden spider story (Carmen, post #663). Haven't seen a single one since. This fall there is a new kind of spider I've never seen before, one in almost every corner and overhang around the mobile home.

10/3/21
    upload_2021-10-8_21-37-41.png

A newcomer to the U.S., first spotted in Georgia. Be on the lookout at a place near you. ;)

Like it or not Joro spiders are here to Stay - UGA Today (10/26/2020)

Chances are, if you live in northeast Georgia you’ve come across an East Asian Joro spider this fall. Joro spiders have spread widely since they were first spotted in Hoschton, Georgia, in 2013.

“We don’t know what the impact is going to be,” said Byron Freeman, University of Georgia Odum School of Ecology. So far, early observations indicate that Joros are coexisting with the area’s other orb weaving spiders, with webs close to, and in some cases even attached to, one another.

Joro spiders appear to be able to capture and feed on at least one insect that other local spiders are not: adult brown marmorated stink bugs
    . :)

They travel by ballooning, letting the wind carry them on a strand of gossamer. “The male has to drift in and find a female on her web,” Freeman said.

11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Oh right, I forgot how hard it was to find in the early days. Hope it works out at Walmart.

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

I should have said Walgreen's above instead of Walmart.

13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart , who is that in your avatar? Is she holding a bow and arrow?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's me. Many, many, many, years ago. In the middle of an archery class (to satisfy a PE requirement.) The picture taker was a friend not enrolled in the class. :rolleyes:

We had to choose 5 sports. After golf, bowling, and badminton, the pickings got pretty slim. Don't remember the 5th. I wanted to take fly fishing, but the classes always filled up. :(

15. Nancy Hart

Registered