Truck Broken - Blessing For Many

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not really a garden thing, but it is food related. We were notified on Saturday that a refer unit on a semi coming up from the lower 48 had broken, so the store would not accept the delivery. They contacted a local small food pantry with which my wife is affiliated, and we had to help arrange distribution of tons of peaches, nectarines, grapes, plums, kales, lettuce, zucchini, etc. to the community. A lot of people received a lot of food, but apparently the poor trucker was stiffed on the run, so he had to take a loss. I guess the produce distributor didn't get paid either. Sad and happy at the same time.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a Walmart distribution center not far from me. I've seen them refuse deliveries of food (I forget the reason), and the driver would open the back and let folks take whatever they wished. Our local food pantry is hooked in to some of this stuff from Walmart and from other places. I've received calls to come get perishables if I wanted it, and I'm certainly not "in need." But if nobody takes it, it goes to waste.

Regarding that trucker: I don't know how guys like that can afford to absorb those costs and stay in business.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wife works seasonally with the trucker's wife, so she knows he barely makes it financially. The trucker is conservative but his wife is an ultra-liberal Biden supporter, and her family is suffering greatly from the dramatic rise in fuel prices.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I fel sad for the trucker.