Turkey-syria Earthquake

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Don Alaska, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just read a report on the earthquake in the Middle East. 28,000 to 30,000 reported dead in the deadliest earthquake in recent times. The pictures of the earth rupture copied from Twitter were spectacular, so those of you on Twitter can view them there. It is said it occurred on a major plate boundary and that there is a possible new volcano forming in the mountains of Turkey as a result. Those poor people!

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It really is a horror. I saw them rescuing some people today that had been buried in the rubble for 5 days! Just terrible.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

The only earthquake I've ever experienced was when I was living in Turkey. Those poor people .....

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, "those poor people", but they are getting help. From what I heard, the governments are going to sue to builders of all of the buildings that came down.

Now, have I been in an earthquake.........Yep! First one was when I was in the Navy in San Diego. I had rented a room at the Armed Forces YMCA downtown for a Friday/Saturday night. On Sunday AM, I was woken by rattling/shaking. I thought someone was under my bed! Then it stopped. Later I found out that it was an earthquake.

After I got out of the Navy, I moved from Long Beach to Anaheim. I felt the Northridge quake in January 1994 and that really destroyed buildings, caused 57 deaths and cost $13 to $40 billion dollars in damage.

Another hit while I was staying at a weekly motel, just east of Disneyland. Everything was shaking in my room. I went outside (second floor) and could see power pole transformers down the street blowing up/sparking, however no major fires.

One time, when I was at work, in the men's one-room restroom on the toilet, a small one hit and I felt it. When I came out of the restroom, co-workers were laughing their butts off, looking at me. One weird place to be during an "shaker"!

Anyway, to those in Turkey and Syria..........hope you get all of the help, medically, etc., that you need.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have been in a number of quakes. The worst was the one in 2018 that knocked me off this forum for a year or so. One of the schools that had to be torn down and rebuilt is just being occupied now. The roads and stuff that were destroyed were fixed in a couple weeks.