Tweaking Our Foods

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Hedi Mitchell, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not buy much in pre packaged foods ,but it is nice to have some handy on occasion. Tonight I cooked fried chicken breasts . I had some zucchini that i needed to cook . I sautee the zucchini ,green onion and added it to a box of Idahoan scalloped potatoes. Added some garlic powder and black pepper. Baked as box said . Turned out really good ! Do any of you do last minute tweaks to food to enhance flavor?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I buy a type of pimento cheese that's called "Palmetto Cheese", made on Pawleys Island. It's strongly-flavored and I add a couple of spoonfuls to grits, mac-and-cheese, scalloped potatoes, etc. Ramps up the flavor.

Also, I use Cavenders Greek Seasoning in everything.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like cheese sauce on broccoli, so sometimes I'll make a boxed mac & cheese, only use half the pasta, steam some broccoli, and toss it in with the mac & cheese

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Do not make boxed mac and cheese, but make my own using a combination of cheeses. Less salt to.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to when my grocery store had a cottage cheese that contained flacks of minced veggies. It made a nice addition, but they discontinued it. But being single, I have to freeze leftovers...there's only but so much room. (I used to make my own baked beans from dried beans.)

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

If hubby goes before me ,I will starve probably. Only reason I cook is for his benefit :)

7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I still make baked beans from scratch. My husband likes them. The house smells so good when the beans are slow baking. I freeze them in small servings for him. But, like Heidi said, I wouldn't cook that much if I was by myself. I probably would just eat peanut butter out of a jar.:D