Two Places I Have Lived In My Long Life

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Thomas Stillhere, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was already posting in a thread about foods we all say eeew at, but it brought back a lot of memories that carried over above the topic so I will post the two Places I remember very well in 1967. Venus was located on a farm road running up to the back of my Missile Base in Alvarado and a couple miles past the base to the junction of highway 160 162 I can't remember but it ran under the W-35 freeway in Alavardo and onto Cleburne Tx.

I had lived in a little rented place in Midlothian a while and we co shared with another serviceman and his wife so we had cheap rent. The other person was a returning veteran from Vietnam and he had been in the 1st Cav, ground Infantry not Aviation. He had re enlisted to get the Missile Crewman job and I wonder how it affected him after I left later and went to Vietnam finding out that all the NIKE sites were closed and taken out of service. Hundreds of men just like him were affected and either just left the service because it was a contract the Army had to complete or legally the person could ask for end of service and he would be mustered out the normal way. Onto the two towns around my base. I thought about the Movie Bonnie and Clyde because it had been filmed in several scenes in Venus and once in Midlothian. These were actual locations and building used in the filming. At the time all the old Texas cotton Towns were still up and had the original center of town configuration. There was never any upgrades or changes simply because the populations all left for the big city all over Texas.

The towns were pretty much left as they were long before Bonnie and Clyde days as these images will show, and if you're familiar with the movie then you will recognize some of the buildings of Venus but not Midlothian since only the part of the old farm being foreclosed and them shooting out the windows. That was the only scene I remember unless in the opening scenes the old house that Bonnie was living in was not in Venus so it possibly might have been Midlothian but I am not really sure. Here is the town histories in photos and I just love them after so many years ago that I once drove all around and lived in. Our Missile base was so unknown we had no mail service but had to drive to Alvarado and walk into the local post office to get out mail. It was so old the floors were a very thick wood and even today it is one of the few land marks left in the updated modern town square.

I actually have a heart patter when I look and see that a new bank had opened in the town square in 1967 and today it still sits there totally unoccupied and looks very old and out of place.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=midlothian+tx&iax=images&ia=images
    https://www.cityofvenus.org/history-venus

Beth Gallagher likes this.