Tyre Nichols

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just watched a snippet of the terrible bodycam videos released today. To say that I am sick to my stomach is putting it mildly. That young man did not need to die.

How much of this goes on that we don't see? What on earth is wrong with people? RIP, Tyre.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tyre-nichols-death-arrest-video-fbi-director-wray-appalled-175100670.html

"Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man, died three days after his Jan. 7 arrest following a traffic stop. Five officers who were fired in the wake of his death were charged Thursday with second-degree murder. All five are Black.

Last week, the Justice Department launched a separate federal civil rights investigation into the matter.

The comments by the top Justice Department officials came hours before Memphis officials were scheduled to release the video of Nichols’s encounter with police, as cities around the country braced for protests.

The video was posted online at 6 p.m. Central Time on Friday evening. It shows officers repeatedly punching and kicking a defenseless Nichols and beating him with batons and using pepper spray on his face."

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Faye Fox and Lulu Moppet like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Police dept are hiring some who shouldn't be on the police force. Cops are retiring early; police forces can't find replacements. None of the five should be a cop.I wish I hadn't of watched the video.

Lulu Moppet and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder why they find it necessary to release these videos. Seems like bodycam footage would be evidence in court and then archived someplace instead of using them sensationally to stir up more hatred.

This is just such a tragedy for all involved, and senseless.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can see your point, but they also serve as a deterrent to cover-ups. I am not someone who generally hates the police but there have been many cases where the police act improperly, to say the least, and before body cams and people filming the police, many, if not most, of these cases would be investigated by the same police department that employed the perpetrator, and they would determine that the police had acted properly. When police body cam footage can be requested by FOIA and shown online, there is pressure on the department, the prosecutors, and the courts to act appropriately. Of course, there are also times when the opposite happens, and an edited version of private footage is released that doesn't tell the real story. Overall, though, I think we're better off in the light of day, with as much transparency as possible.

I have watched a lot of police body cam footage and private videos from people filming the police, and it seems that a common thing that the police do is to keep shouting things like "Quit resisting! Quit resisting! Quit resisting!" when the footage makes it clear that the guy they're beating was not resisting. Another is to crowd someone or push into them, hoping to get a reaction that they can interpret as an assault.

For a realistic idea as to the behavior of police, in general, of course, it's necessary to realize that videos of police acting appropriately or commendably don't usually go viral on Youtube so most of the ones we see are of police acting inappropriately. I don't believe that these videos are representative of most of the police officers on the street, but there are plenty of cops who shouldn't be wearing a badge, and there should be more accountability, and these videos help to bring that about.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

First, do note that I heard about the video and opted not to watch it.
    Secondly, I have no use for a police person who uses their badge to inappropriately handle a problem.

That said and in no way defending the actions of the cops in the video, I have heard that there are a lot of frustrated cops in the major cities where crime has gone rampant.
    It’s just speculation but perhaps some cops are just tired of being compromised by DA’s and court systems that continually put criminals back on the streets sans bail or even a court date.
    Perhaps some cops, instead of quitting or relocating, have taken to overreacting whilst others have taken to doing nothing and simply float.

At any rate, prior to the George Floyd incident, being a cop was one of the most respected positions a qualified person of good character could have but now it is a much different story.
    Just as the above incident was shown on YouTube, I have seen some videos of civilians who openly abuse police persons who are just doing their jobs and heard of cops who are on the carpet for defending store owners and such.

It’s a sad thing really. Those 5 bad cops have unwittingly made it even rougher for good cops to do their jobs and even harder for cities to hire said good cops even if their cities decide to start prosecuting the bad guys.

Faye Fox and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It almost seems ..... Mob mentality took over. The video's that I tried to watch frankly were of poor quality. When the cop is moving , it's just blur, and there are long periods of just black screen. Not sure if I want to see a clearer one.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This is what happens when you defund and disrespect good police officers. Only thugs want to become police. They can thrive on a policeman's salary because they are on the take with drug or theft gangs.

The answer is upping police salaries and benefits and screening them completely and stopping the failed idea that infiltrating gangs with police is a good idea. More in-depth background checks on police cadets and more training especially mentally are needed.

Good police need to be able to defend themselves and courts need to start convicting and giving longer prison terms and requiring all inmates to work. No bail for serious crimes and have death sentences for the worst murders. Prisoners need to be rid of gangs and prisoners need to be stripped of all the rights they have that many times exceed those of free people.

Good police will only exist when they are allowed to serve the tax-paying public and their arrest lead to harsh prison sentences.

Also, good police need public help instead of fear. Good police will only exist when citizens start using their fading rights to defend themselves and their property. We need more shoot to kill by the citizens. A mob attacks your store and starts destroying it and beating on anyone that tries to stop them, then shoot them with intent to kill. Very few criminals want to be killed. Criminals don't fear prison.

The USA would change for the better in less than 60 days if citizens would start defending their lives and property. No society can depend on a few police to protect them. Good people will want to become police and protect when we give them a society worth protecting because the people themselves will stand up against criminal actions.

These police officers were thugs and cowards in my opinion taking their frustrations out on one guy instead of battling with a criminal gang. They became a criminal gang.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  8. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

To say they have lowered the BAR is a fair assessment . I did not watch the video because I get enough information without having to watch it. To stay alive in today's environment you need a very thick skin and not allow yourself to get personally insulted when dealing with the public. Wearing a gun when no one else is packing seems to make a small man 100 feet tall. The real crime is listening to the half wit spew more of his tripe, someone should keep a fly swatter handy and give him a good slap when his comments aren't needed.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It will be interesting to see the backgrounds of those individuals when the trials are held.

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Why I want to know, Why, any of them felt the need to become judge and jury at that moment. Appalling behavior and gives police once again a bad name. I pray justice is served to each.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The answer is that they want to stir up police hate and defund the police narrative again and replace local and state police with Federal officers that will shoot to kill. These agents now defined as IRS agents armed and willing to kill is what this is all about. This kind of police killing has been going on for 100 years in places like LA, Chicago, New York, etc. It wasn't publicized because there was no political gain from it and also no viable resolve. The gangs and mobs have long ruled cities. The best way for them to keep their rule was to get some of their members on the police force.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a lady from the Philippines. She said they didn't have crime there unless it was government-sponsored, because a small-time criminal would be arrested by Federal police and many times be shot in privacy and then never spoken of again. I think this is where the USA is headed with these phony IRS agents armed and ready to kill. They don't like your view on a matter, you get called in for a tax audit and never go home.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Not defending the actions of these cops,but I bet after a few months on the job most of us would lose much of our patience with this drugged up, crime ridden society cops deal with every day.
    The 'victim' was likely on drugs and started the crap right off, we didn't see what he did before they finally got him to pull over. They were very upset right from beginning of that video.
    If a cop tells you to get out of the auto, get your stupid ass out of the auto. Don't sit there or resist verbally or physically. or run your mouth. Only a fool would think that is a fight they are going to win.
    Now one life is lost, and 5 more will suffer the tortures of hell a cop faces on years in prison.
    A couplie lawyers will make lots of money and more parents, spouse will become millionaires. The cycle continues.
    I don'y know what kind of cops They are but I did see what kind of person the 'victim' was. And yes I agree his actions didn't deserve the death sentence, but he did do more than what we saw on the video, to have those cops that peeved once he pulled over.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Will we ever know the truth about who Nichols was? It seems strange that he was stopped for reckless driving by 5 officers. Why did he run from the scene? It is just my opinion that he was involved in something that the officers were also involved in and when the officers tried to stop him, he sped off driving recklessly. After he stopped he feared for his life so he ran. Also, just my opinion that 5 officers weren't needed for a simple reckless driving case. I doubt that the truth will ever come out because the last thing the DA wants to do is admit their police force had 5 officers on the take.

Because of the photos released painting Tyre as a model citizen seem to indicate a senseless assault by 5 officers, that immediately raises my suspicion just like it did in the Floyd case. Still, to this day there are those that believe Floyd was a model citizen and deny that he spent 5 years in a Texas prison for several felonies.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I are very, very "pro-law enforcement", but that only goes so far. I didn't see the video, but if it's like other videos of wrong doing by law enforcement, I don't want to see it. There are videos that don't show the entire encounter or what happened to make an officer do what they did. Many people do resist arrest and that, in itself, makes an arrest very hard. Being an officer today is extremely hard and dangerous.

I always say, "a person has to be right there when it's happening, or in court for testimonies, to know exactly what happened." There are times even an officer/officers body camera doesn't pick up everything that happened. When a person resists arrest and/or runs, problems occur and, many times, it's not the officers fault. They have to catch that person, bring them down and that "bringing them down" quite possibly wouldn't be a pretty sight. But, it's there job to arrest and there are those that make that job very, very difficult.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

The cops didn't seem to be in that good of health either, this too should be a requirement.
    They should have just handcuffed while one stood on his hardheaded butt and snatched him up threw him in the cage in back seat. But guess they couldn't lift him?He goes to jail,they go home.