Unable To Log On

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Bill Boggs, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been unable to log on to Seniors Only Club with my desk top computer all day today. I am told the club uses cookies andI must accept this before I can log in. There is no place to accept cookies. Anyone encounter this and have a solution?

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm confused. How were you able to make this post if you weren't logged on? You must have another computer??? I'm remembering now that I once had trouble myself with FF on this computer, but I was able to with another browser. Try another browser.

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That happened to me a couple of times. Deleting the cookie for this forum solved the problem. I don't like to delete ALL cookies, and deleting a cookie for a single website is not straightforward. I've done it so few times I don't remember how off hand. And it depends on your browser.

Try searching a how to on YouTube. Or maybe just try again later. The problem might go away by itself. :rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The forum won't work without accepting cookies. The place where you would find it would differ from computer to computer, or from browser to browser, but there would be an option to accept or not accept cookies, and some include options to accept cookies from specified sites only.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I can log on to this site with either of my iPads but not with my desktop. I’ve never had this problem before. What I was wanting to do was comment on current thread but could not sign on with my dest top. was wondering why and how can I fix theo problem.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That depends on which browser you're using, but it would probably be in an area called "Preferences" or something like that, and maybe a sub-area called "Security" or "Privacy".

SafariC.jpeg
    For example, this is what the setting looks like for Safari (Mac). If I wanted to allow some cookies and block others, I could click into the "Manage Website Data" button.

OperaC.jpeg
    This is what it looks like in Opera (Mac).

If you updated your browser recently (sometimes this is done automatically), it may have set your preferences for blocking all cookies.

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I accidentally reproduced Bill's error today:
    upload_2021-9-28_21-21-47.png

In the Ninja Coffee thread, Ken has a hyperlink named Moss & Stone Electric Percolator

The URL is

http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/moss-stone-electric-coffee-percolator.19793/

It does not have the secure https: prefix. I cannot log on from that page using Microsoft Edge. If I try I get the pink message above about cookies. If I am already logged on and go to that page it shows I'm not logged on anymore and I can't reply. A refresh doesn't help.

I have bookmarked SOC and added the s: manually to the URL. So it never happens except in unusual cases like this.

I had the same problem with Chrome, but was able to fix it partially by allowing mixed content in privacy settings. Edge doesn't seem to have the same options, but I'm still looking. I've already spent way too much time on this tonight.

BTW, I think if it is possible to edit the URL in the HOME page icon link, and manually put in the "s" it might solve @Beth Gallagher 's problem.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I asked for that change a while ago... https://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/weird-problem-with-the-forum.17001/page-4#post-515734

I had the same problem with the percolator link.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

you're lucky.